I am an MSC student in physics and I need to get myself a good, trusted laptop for the years to come.\
Here are some of the things I think I need:
1. screen - as most laptops should be 15.6 inch. (I don't like to work on small screens)
also, should be Matte screen.
2. Special requirements:
a) At the moment I have lenovo T60, and I have the red track-point in it and the touchpad. If both can be that can be great but not go- no go kind of thing. (just a useful accessory)
b) The laptop should have a Camera buit in.
c) WIFI - I heard there is a new wifi standard, so if it has it, awesome. If not, so just the normal(b/g/n). (like before - that's not the go- no go kind of thing)
3. weight - doesn't matter as long as you remember it is a laptop none the less.
4. Battery life - should work at least for 3 hours while being under constant calculations with the brightest light.
5. special exits - VGA, HDMI (and ofcourse all the usb, audio and network)
6. Hard drive - should be at least 500GB, should work fast. If possible, I heard about the SSD hard. Don't know if it's for the system Only or not. Very important that the laptop won't get stuck.
7. there is no need for an optical drive.
8. The budget should include 3 years of warranty
9. The operation system doesn't have to be inside the budget. (I can buy my own)
The purpose of the Laptop is to run hard simulations on Matlab (the latest version) and other programs like that.
Plus, should be able to play the latest games (video card?)
Also, I would like the laptop to be with a good and quite cooling system as I'm about to be many hours working on it.
Most of the time, it will be connected to the AC when at home and probably attached a normal mouse, keyboard and bigger screen. But, when not in home it should work for 3 hours at least with the parameters mentioned above.
Please consider, that I don't want to replace the laptop in the next 5 years at least. So the parts should be reliable.
Thank you for your help.
Edited by elis02, 08 February 2014 - 12:23 PM.