Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new laptop with the gadget of about 1100 dollars

• Please log in to reply

elis02

elis02

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I am an MSC student in physics and I need to get myself a good, trusted laptop for the years to come.\
Here are some of the things I think I need:

1. screen - as most laptops should be 15.6 inch. (I don't like to work on small screens)
also, should be Matte screen.

2. Special requirements:
a) At the moment I have lenovo T60, and I have the red track-point in it and the touchpad. If both can be that can be great but not go- no go kind of thing. (just a useful accessory)
b) The laptop should have a Camera buit in.
c) WIFI - I heard there is a new wifi standard, so if it has it, awesome. If not, so just the normal(b/g/n). (like before - that's not the go- no go kind of thing)
d) Blutooth.
3. weight - doesn't matter as long as you remember it is a laptop none the less.
4. Battery life - should work at least for 3 hours while being under constant calculations with the brightest light.
5. special exits - VGA, HDMI (and ofcourse all the usb, audio and network)
6. Hard drive - should be at least 500GB, should work fast. If possible, I heard about the SSD hard. Don't know if it's for the system Only or not. Very important that the laptop won't get stuck.
7. there is no need for an optical drive.
8. The budget should include 3 years of warranty
9. The operation system doesn't have to be inside the budget. (I can buy my own)

The purpose of the Laptop is to run hard simulations on Matlab (the latest version) and other programs like that.
Plus, should be able to play the latest games (video card?)

Also, I would like the laptop to be with a good and quite cooling system as I'm about to be many hours working on it.

Most of the time, it will be connected to the AC when at home and probably attached a normal mouse, keyboard and bigger screen. But, when not in home it should work for 3 hours at least with the parameters mentioned above.

Please consider, that I don't want to replace the laptop in the next 5 years at least. So the parts should be reliable.

Thank you for your help.

Eli.

Edited by elis02, 08 February 2014 - 12:23 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
MBP

elis02

elis02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm not interested in Apple.

Just keep using a windows...

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
X1 Carbon

?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Adding an enhanced 3 year warranty puts my suggestion $150 over your budget but it does ship with W8.1 64-bit which would cost almost $100, something that you were willing to pay for over and above your initial $1100 budget, Dell Inspiron 17R

elis02

elis02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey phillpower2
Link doesn't work
Can you please fix it?

Edited by elis02, 09 February 2014 - 12:21 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Strange as it works ok this end, here it is again.

elis02

elis02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Works now.
It looks promising
I have two questions though
1. Can I buy it with ought the windows? I have an original 8.1 at hand and like the computer to be clean with only my programs.
2. How about ssd drive? Many people adore it and sais it's a great idea to install sad drive as well.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
A1: It would appear not.
A2: An SSD is great for fast boot times but very expensive as a large storage device, I have a 128GB SSD on my desktop and I have only the OS on it and nothing else, an example of what an SSD suitable for storing a large amount of data on would cost here

Check out the configuration options page here

elis02

elis02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Which one is better?
1. What proposed here
2. http://www.amazon.co...#productDetails
3. http://www.amazon.co...#productDetails

Plus, how about the noise it produces while Working and the cooling system?

After these I'll probably go watch some laptops with 17 inch and 15.6 to choose what I like best.

So after the competition of these laptops, if I do decide 15.6 after all (Most probably because I'm working with 14 inch laptop now for 7 years and maybe 17 is too much), what would be the best configuration for my needs?

Edited by elis02, 09 February 2014 - 08:58 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The second option has a better battery life with 4hrs as opposed to the alternative notebooks 3hrs, other than that they are very similar.

Just to confirm that one or all of the notebooks that have been suggested either met (or surpassed) your requirements - a recap on your OP;

1. screen - as most laptops should be 15.6 inch. (I don't like to work on small screens)
also, should be Matte screen.

2. Special requirements:
a) At the moment I have lenovo T60, and I have the red track-point in it and the touchpad. If both can be that can be great but not go- no go kind of thing. (just a useful accessory)
b) The laptop should have a Camera buit in.
c) WIFI - I heard there is a new wifi standard, so if it has it, awesome. If not, so just the normal(b/g/n). (like before - that's not the go- no go kind of thing)
d) Blutooth.
3. weight - doesn't matter as long as you remember it is a laptop none the less.
4. Battery life - should work at least for 3 hours while being under constant calculations with the brightest light.
5. special exits - VGA, HDMI (and ofcourse all the usb, audio and network)
6. Hard drive - should be at least 500GB, should work fast. If possible, I heard about the SSD hard. Don't know if it's for the system Only or not. Very important that the laptop won't get stuck.
7. there is no need for an optical drive.
8. The budget should include 3 years of warranty
9. The operation system doesn't have to be inside the budget. (I can buy my own)**

Does the Dell 17R not have all of the above and more ;)

**From your reply #8

1. Can I buy it with ought the windows? I have an original 8.1

Fair is fair so if we can suggest a notebook that you are happy with will you tell us how you managed to conjure up an original version of Windows 8.1 out of nowhere :P

elis02

elis02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Don't know. My university gives us a version of 8.0 and 8.1 for free.. (Probably an update)
My windows 7 (on my Lenovo t60) was also installed this way.

Anyway, as I understand, if I choose 17, I'll go for dell, the module that was proposed.
Now, how about i f I choose 15.6? (Don't mind the previous options I posted. Just want an authentique professional advice like with the 17 you suggested)

Edited by elis02, 10 February 2014 - 02:42 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Don't know. My university gives us a version of 8.0 and 8.1 for free.. (Probably an update)
My windows 7 (on my Lenovo t60) was also installed this way.

Sounds like the Microsoft - DreamSpark collaboration, details here

Anyway, as I understand, if I choose 17, I'll go for dell, the module that was proposed.

In all honesty I think that the 17R is a very good option, the two downsides in your case are 1: that you cannot purchase it without the OS and 2: the cost of the extended 3 year warranty, if you were able to remove the combined cost of these two items you would expect to pay around $975 which is ok for the spec of the notebook.

Have you looked at any sites that will configure a notebook to your requirements, here is an example.

elis02

elis02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Can you please also give me a suggestion for 15.6 inch laptop? (I'm not familiar with this world so I don't trust my own picks on those sites)

Edited by elis02, 11 February 2014 - 01:14 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Tigerdirect

Samsung cost and specs