Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen with blinking cursor

• Please log in to reply

Robertcharles123

Robertcharles123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
It restarted and went back to the blinking cursor. I will redo the other process and see if I can get to safe mode again.

Advertisements

Robertcharles123

Robertcharles123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
It is now loading in safe mode. I guess I will have to do this until I delete the other virus program.

Thanks,

Robert

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
:thumbsup:

Robertcharles123

Robertcharles123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Hello Robertcharles123,

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file to your flashdrive .

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system

Now please enter System Recovery Options.
Run FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
The tool will make a log on the flashdrive (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.

After that see if you can start up your machine normally. If you can't come back and paste the log in the forum.

If you can then do the following:

You appear to be running multiple anti-virus programs

Running two or more real-time anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall monitors at the same time can cause a conflict. That conflict can result in slow computer performance, error messages, crashes of the programs or other types of failure. You will very likely end up with little or no protection.

Please uninstall two of AVG, isafe(YAC Security Protection) or McAfee

After that

Please download a new copy of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Right click to run as administrator. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • Please copy and paste log back here.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please also paste that into your reply.

Can I uninstall the virus software in safe mode? It is saying it might have to make some modifications to my system and is asking me if I want to continue.

Thanks,

Robert

When I get the computer back on from this last virus scan removal, di I download the Farber with the sick computer or on a USB like before?

Thanks,

Robert

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Right click to run as administrator. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • Please copy and paste log back here.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please also paste that into your reply.

Robertcharles123

Robertcharles123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I cannot connect to the internet on the sick computer. I am trying though.

Thanks,

Robert

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Okay, don't worry about that, we will try something else.

Please download ComboFix from this location:

Link

Save it to a flash drive and transfer it to your sick computers desktop.

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools.

• Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • If you have an older Operating System you may be asked whether you want to install the Recovery Console. Click yes and follow any prompts.
  • Your desktop may go blank. This is normal.
  • ComboFix may appear to be doing nothing for quite long periods, this is normal, just leave it to do it's job.
  • ComboFix may reboot your machine. This is normal too.

**Note: Do not mouseclick combo-fix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

When finished, it will produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

Robertcharles123

Robertcharles123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I am in the combo fix and it it saying error saving file continue with next file

Just keep going?

Thanks,

Robert

Attached Thumbnails

• 1392161472822.jpg

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Just continue. It will have flags as it can't connect to the internet.

It should run but tell me if it doesn't.

Remember not to interrupt it once it starts scanning.

Can take a while but let me know it goes on more that an hour.

Robertcharles123

Robertcharles123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
It says that the antiviruses that were uninstalled are still active. I am going to uninstall the AVG. The YAC seems to be gone. I will leave the McAfee and see what happens.

Thanks,

Robert

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
If you run into that message again, just continue. It should work okay. :)

Robertcharles123

Robertcharles123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
It still says the antiviruses are running. I deleted the McAfee and it is not showing up on the programs list, but the AVG will not do anything now. It just sits there when I click on it. It keeps saying Please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling or being changed. When I removed it before I restarted the computer, it said all that and went to a screen that said the computer must shut down to completely remove the AVG and then when I rebooted it it went to that screen. Something is not right. I will keep going.

Thanks,

Robert

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Anti-virus uninstallers are notorious for leaving bits and pieces behind.

Later we will see what we can do about them but for now just move on with ComboFix. If it tells you that the anti-virus programs are still active just move on. ComboFix should cope without difficulty. :)

Robertcharles123

Robertcharles123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Well, I keep trying to run the combofix and it just keeps saying error and skips the ten files listed one at a time in order for me to progress the it goes to the end and I cannot locate the C:\ComboFix.txt on the C drive. I see a ComboFix folder but that does not have anything resembling what I am supposed to be looking for.

I will keep trying.

Thanks,

Robert

Robertcharles123

Robertcharles123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Just curious as to why I cannot download the Farber again to the USB and then save it to desktop on the sick computer. I am really having issues with the Combofix running. I tried to take a video of my steps, but it will not let me upload. Maybe I can upload it to my photobucket and you can view it there.

Thanks,

Robert