Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Sattelite P-70 A crashing... Help, please! [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Gabrielmgn

Gabrielmgn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I've decided to make a complete reset and I am now with Windows 8. I will follow the support document to upgrade my computer to 8.1. Thank you! I'll comeback with feeback.

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
You are welcome.

Gabrielmgn

Gabrielmgn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
All right, I`m back already. Spent the day doing everything the tutorial demanded. Everything seemed to go all right. Then, tonight, I installed the Google Hangout plugin (I`m using Chrome browser now) and sometime when I was talking to my GF, BSOD again. :(
We've moved to Skype to see if the problem is only in the Hangout plugin. But then again, before reseting the computer, I'd have BSOD while doing other things in the computer like watching videos, playing games... I really have no idea what to do. Should I do some more scans now that I reseted the computer?

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hello,

The event logs in the OTL scan showed a controller error on the hard disk. This could be a bad sector on the hard disk or an issue with one of the hardware drivers. Given all of the games on the computer and the enhanced video and audio cards that you probably have for gaming and the other graphic intensive programs like AutoCad the BSODs may well be due to one of those drivers. But it could also be a bad ram chip, or dust/dirt inside the computer. It may also be that the 8.1 upgrade still didn't install correctly. But I don't believe the problem is a virus or malware.

I'm gonna do a check of the hard drive. And then we can check the system files. If that doesn't get us anywhere then this is an operating system issue and I will point you to the proper forum to get further assistance there.

Check Hard Disk For Errors:

Please copy everything in the code box below into notepad. To do this highlight all text, then right click and click Copy.

@Echo Off
cmd /c chkdsk c: |find /v "percent" >> "%userprofile%\desktop\checkhd.txt"
del %0

• Next, open Notepad, or click Start->Run and in the Open: box type notepad.exe and click OK.
  • Right click in the notepad window and click Paste, or put the cursor inside the notepad window and press the Ctrl-V keys to paste the text into notepad.
  • On the File menu, click Save
  • On the Save AS window that comes up, do the following:
    • On the left side, click the Desktop Icon. This will put "Desktop" in the Save In: box at the top.
    • At the bottom in the File Name: box type testhd.bat
    • In the Save as type: box, click the down arrow and click All Files(*.*)
    • Click Save
    This will put a new file on the Desktop named testhd.bat
    The file icon will look like this:
    Posted Image

Close all open windows and any open Browsers.
  • Right click the testhd.bat file on the desktop and click Run As Admininstrator then OK any UAC prompts to run the file. A command window will open briefly, then close. This is quite normal.
  • When the command window has closed there will be a new file on the desktop named checkhd.txt
  • Copy and paste the contents of the checkhd.txt file in your next reply.

Gabrielmgn

Gabrielmgn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Well, I thought about the problem maybe being with Windows 8.1 too, so I made another complete reset and I am currently in Windows 8.0.

I figured that your code would function in both OS, so I did as you told anyway! Here are the results:

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is TI80145000B.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
2278 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
38034 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

960709631 KB total disk space.
52314352 KB in 183990 files.
130816 KB in 38035 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
355399 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
907909064 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
240177407 total allocation units on disk.
226977266 allocation units available on disk.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
I don't see any problems with the hard drive. Since you have reset back to 8.0 again I think that this would be the ideal time to post in the Windows 8 operating system forum and let the Techs help you there. I would suggest that you include a link back to this topic so the Techs can see what we have done and said here. If you want to post a link to the new topic here or send me a PM with a link to the topic in the Windows 8 forum I will ask the Tech staff to take a look.

If you have any questions about what we have done here please ask me.

Gabrielmgn

Gabrielmgn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Here is the link to the other topic (which I had made before):

http://www.geekstogo...02#entry2375502

Edited by Gabrielmgn, 17 February 2014 - 02:03 PM.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
I have let a Tech know you are back.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.