Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting files

• Please log in to reply

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi
I am having problems deleting files

Deleting in the normal way seems to work until I re-boot, then the files appear again

Some are mp4 files that I have to delete using "Move on boot"

I can delete from all of my drives except drive C.

I have tried moving the files to another drive, they appear to move, and I can then delete from the second drive and they do delete, but once again the files re-appear in drive C.

I have also tried shredding the files, they seem to go, then I shred the free space on the drive, but once again they re-appear.

Any suggestions please ???

Advertisements

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi,
Still hoping for help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Besides mp4 files what other types are there and in what directory are they located?
Are you sure these are not system files?

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hello

Thanks for the response

Files are in my "Download" folder

Include MP4 JPG WVM Excell Zip etc..

I have not tried to delete lately, have now been downoading onto a removable disc as drive 0 is getting quite full.

I will give shredding another try.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Give this a try.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi,

After I sent my last message I tried shredding some of the files again, they seemed to go, I rebooted and they did not show, Drive C free space had increased by 26megs, when I restarted again yesterday the files had reappeared and free space went down again by about 26megs.

I have run TFC it took only a few seconds it showed about 43,000, I thought that it had not run properly so after re-booting I tried again. It showed 0 this time but hung up showing the spinning wheel.

I did a "clt alt del" to get to the Task Master dialog it said that TFC was not responding, so then I used the red button to close down. I got a message saying that the Security Options Dialog failed, then it eventually shut down.

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi,

Have deleted another couple of files in the normal way, emptied the recycle bin, after rebooting the files seem to have gone, but who knows what tomorrow may bring.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK are these files you have downloaded form some place online?
Can you do the following for me please.

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Male sure the window is open all the way on the top right so I can see all the info it has.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG or PNG and save it to your Desktop
Make sure the window is open all the way so I can see everything on the top right window.

Attach it to your next reply

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi,

Pic as requested.

My downloads have come from a variety of sites.

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Sorry I do not think that the pic attached properly

Attached Thumbnails

• compmanagement.jpg

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to click on Disk Management and then let the right window populate. Once it shows everything then get the screenshot for us please.

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi,

Opened as requested

Attached Thumbnails

• compmanagement1.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It looks like C drive has plenty of room on it free. Has any of the problems files returned?

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi,

I will let you know tomorrow, I have scheduled a bunch to delete tonight.

Thanks
Ian

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi,

Files seem to have deleted OK, both from Sunday and Monday.

Does that mean that the TFC program worked ?

It seemed to take such a short time to run I thought it had not worked.

Many thanks for your help, if the problem comes back I will let you know.

Ian