Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezes while browsing net (quite frequent)

• Please log in to reply

rei158

rei158

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hey, me again!

Well, I guess my computer might just be becoming old(4-5 years), but recently I've noticed that when I browse the net (on Chrome or Firefox) sudden freezes come up. Just now a moment ago I had one. Usually the screen freezes for about 20 seconds? and during the freeze the computer makes it's machine beep for once. I had a song this time playing and it restarted from the beginning for 2 times.(don't know if it's important or not :D)

Thanks in advance!.

Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP 2
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz
RAM 4GB
Nvidia GTX 460

Edited by rei158, 11 February 2014 - 02:05 PM.

Advertisements

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Could I please get atleast some tips on refreshing/cleaning my computer? If this problem is kinda meh, then just say... :( :confused:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Hello again rei158

I have moved your topic here as it is better placed on the hardware as opposed to OS forums :thumbsup:

Run Speccy and post the resultant url for us please,details here, with your reply also provide the brand and model name or number details of your PSU.

As an asides rei158, please remember that we are all volunteers here and have other things going on such as family and paid employment, both must come first and in the said order, if you have waited for 3 days or more and not received a reply to your OP or last reply post a link to your topic in the Waiting Room and someone will pick up your topic asap.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Here are the specs: http://speccy.pirifo...IAZYlMfxYcCLvMM
Here are the PSU specs:
CHEFTEC 550W
Model No. APS-550S

And sorry for making a big fuss about it. :blush:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Thanks for the update rei158 :thumbsup:

There are a couple of things of note in your Speccy report but before I go into detail can you do the following for us, the information we get from the test/checks will help to determine which way to proceed;

1: Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take an expanded screenshot and attach it to your next reply.

2: Download Speedfan and install it.
Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Somewhat odd is SpeedFan not showing the voltages though it used to..

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan+HWMonitor.jpg
  • computer management.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Hello rei158

Couple of things of note in Speedfan and/or HWMonitor;

The output on the +12V rail of the PSU is too high, Speedfan gave an anomalous reading but HWMonitor supported the bad reading reported by Speccy, see attachment below.

The CPU voltage and usage is high for a computer that is doing nothing, the safe maximum for the CPU is 1.3625V under load and your readings are 1,008V in Speccy and 1.02V in both Speedfan and HWMonitor, this is not good for a computer that is idle.

Has the computer been overclocked.

Check the voltage readings in the BIOS for us please, no need for a screenshot just make a note of the +3.3V, +5V and +12V rails and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.
The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
+3.3V - 3.408V
+5V - 5.112V
+12V - 12.408V

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Power readings aside for one moment, as I explained earlier they are not conclusive in the BIOS due to the computer not being under load.

I previously asked;

Has the computer been overclocked

What is the answer please.

Back to the two items that I noted in the Speccy report;

1: You are using Kaspersky AV, it is very good but very demanding on system resources, try uninstalling it and using Avast or MSE free as an alternative to see if the issue is resolved, if Kaspersky is the paid for version make a note of the product key in case you wish to reinstall it later, you must use the correct procedure to uninstall it, see here

2: Registry Reviver-Luga-Startup, I strongly suggest that you uninstall it, this type of program can and often does cause all sorts of problems, see the WOT details for the said software and the company that provides it.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
No, never overclocked anything.
1. Well, I guess I will try that.
2. I think it may be a registry entry or something like that. Don't recall using it in the past. Neither it shows up anywhere.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
:thumbsup: