Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to permanently delete a mapped drive

• Please log in to reply

ken72cc

ken72cc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I used Windows Explorer to map several network drives and now want to reverse the mapping permanently. I can remove it temporarily using a number of methods (e.g. Windows Explorer disconnect network drive, or program run net use xx: /delete, etc.) but when I reboot the mapped network drives are back.

How can I get rid of them for good? Surely there must be a straightforward way that doesn't involve things like registry edits.

Thanks for your help, Ken.

Advertisements

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts
One method that worked for me when I had this issue previously was to disconnect the drives like you have done. Then recreate them and make sure that reconnect at logon is NOT ticked. Then disconnect the drive again.

ken72cc

ken72cc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hmmm, tried it 3 times and they always come back on the next boot. I made sure to keep the reconnect at logon box unchecked. Any other suggestions? This is getting rather frustrating.