Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow computer with win 7 premium [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
My guess, it would be run two and the disc was heavily fragmented, at this time it also moves low level drivers to the optimal position as well as optimising the drive placement of files. Cancel just resets it, finish is needed for it to be used unless you want to stop it totally

Advertisements

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
I will do it again

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
ok, I let it run until it did all 7 cycles, seems a bit faster than it was, anyway to clean up old registry entries? I know essexboy has told me in the past not to use registry cleaners.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

I know essexboy has told me in the past not to use registry cleaners.

In all honesty, you can't buy better advice from a smarter technologist!

I could send you all kinds of links and all that, let me put it simply, what the Reg Cleaners are doing usually adds undue complexity to the Regisry and often creates a different, but similarly sized Registry.

The other words, you could "clean" until Reg Cleaner "A" was happy and then "B" would cite the "cleaning" that "A" did as issues. If you are absolutely convinced that you want to fix or reset your Registry, you could do a fresh install of the Operating System. Cumbersome and frankly, not necessary based on how your computer looks. Don't forget, I've seen your Registry...you've done a nice job of maintaining your computer!

How about this, you did run cccleaner (not bad, but not one of my favorites). Try this one and let's see what CC left behind.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.
Post the log and let me know how the computer is running.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
I didn't see a log, in the past when running tfc, the computer would have a pop up box that told me to restart windows to finish the cleaning, now the library folder in my taskbar pops up. is this normal?

the machine is a bit faster now though.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
I don't know about the Library Folder, but if it didn't reboot. then do a manual reboot.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
I did

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Where are we on this? Booting ok, working ok?

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
seems to be fine, also speed has increased, thanks

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

thanks

You're very welcome :thumbsup:

Anything else I can do or should I close this thread?

Advertisements

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
Attached File  021414-22822-01.dmp - Shortcut.zip   592bytes   157 downloadsjust got a blue screen, and took forever to start up, had to do it from a restore point

here is a copy of the mini dump file

I can't get the file to paste

Edited by gregahoffman, 14 February 2014 - 01:13 PM.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Wow, that's not good news in any way, shape or form :(

I reviewed you past issues that were posted here and I don't recall any red flags. Usually, BS hint at hardware issues or a misconfigured OS. Your logs looked fine.

You've not made any h/w chages since yesterday, right?

Let me think a little bit and confer with Essexboy too.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Ahh...just saw the log. I'll look at that too and be back with you.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
no hardware changes, I have had seen this problem in the past with avast a/v but I thought I fixed it

I changed the who crashed report from html to txt and attached it

Attached Files

Edited by gregahoffman, 14 February 2014 - 01:23 PM.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Spoke to Essexboy and he's recommending an Avast Repair.

From Control Panel > Programs and Features select Avast then on the left select Repair, rebooting on completion

Posted Image