Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Updates problem

• Please log in to reply

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post in. If it is wrong I apologise in advance!

A few weeks ago I noticed my (Windows XP) gaming PC was not updating properly.
I've NEVER had this problem before, having install hundreds since I got the PC in 2008.

Anyway, I could no longer install the Microsoft updates and patches on "Patch Tuesday" neither could I update Microsoft Security Essentials with its latest updates.
I organised a workaround for the M.S.E. problem - by going to the website at: https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/definitions/howtomse.aspx and downloading the latest updates and installing them manually, thus bypassing the User Interface "Update" button.

However, I am still unable to download and install ANY Microsoft Updates.

On the normal Microsoft Update site, according to my "Update History" I have NO updates installed. [There were HUNDREDS of them before this problem started].
Any attempt to install any fails.

Strange then, that on the Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs (with the box ticked to "show updates") the updates ARE showing as installed - as far back as 2010 (NOT to 2008).

For some unknown reason (maybe some corrupted file somewhere?) Microsoft doesn't recognise all the updates and also doesn't function when I try to install any, yet my PC still shows them as installed.

What's gone wrong?
How can I fix this?

I've tried System Restore, to a period way before this happened but had no success. I'm not sure what else to do.
Is there some "Microsoft" file or folder that has become corrupted causing this? If so, where is it located and how do I mend it?

Any ideas guys, please?

UPDATE 17.2.14 - More information:
Every single update I've ever installed has now got Error Code:0x80246008 beside it in Update History. It says "try to install updates again".
I have REPEATEDLY tried and keep getting the same error code!
All the updates appear installed, according to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programmes.

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 17 February 2014 - 12:23 PM.

Advertisements