Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build for Surfing the Web, and Light FB Gaming + School Work?

• Please log in to reply

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2S2p8

Does that look good? It'll be used for very light weight gaming (Like FaceBook), surfing and watching Youtube in full HD (1080) and School Work. Should do the job? I put in "Monitor" because I have at least 2 for my sister.

BTW, she's looking at buying a computer for her own uses. Computer number 10?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Alan1998.
I don't believe you are making good use of your budget. Depending on how the computer is to be used, a discrete GPU my not be required, so the CPU should take first place, a MB that adequately supports it, then RAM, HDD, (GPU?) PSU, case, OD and a new OS if you do not have one that is available to use.
Do you have a particular reason for case and fans $164, the CPU at $74? The case is good, but over the top for his build. I think should be the other way around.

For the specified use consider integrated graphics, a discrete card could be added later if the gaming becomes more important.
A couple of case to consider, > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007583%2050001516&IsNodeId=1&page=2&bop=And&CompareItemList=7%7C1N8-001K-00002%5E1N8-001K-00002-03%23%2C11-129-066%5E11-129-066-TS

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,745 posts
It`s me sticking my nose in again :whistling:

Alan 1998 list all bases are covered including with the MB which is both Crossfire and Sli capable, this means that if and when an add on video card is used it can be either AMD or Nvidea without worrying about problems with adding a second/dual video card further down the line (your sister may not, but you may Alan ;) ) all done for less cash as well :D

You have not included an OS such as Windows 7/8/8.1 64-bit, what will you be using.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted Image Phillpower2 and within the budget.
Hope Alan1988 comes back, was afeared I may have been to critical and scared him off.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
No, I had surgery done last night.... In a bit of pain.

In regards to the OS: We have a Win 7 HP SP 1 (64Bit) disc + a Win 8 64 Bit Disc. Both are readily available since my dad works in an ITS department.

I have that GPU in there because it can handle my DVI monitor please the VGA monitor from the old Acer. I dind't check, but does the CPU have onboard video? Can the Mobo handle that? (Onboard video?)

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

It`s me sticking my nose in again :whistling:

Alan 1998 list all bases are covered including with the MB which is both Crossfire and Sli capable, this means that if and when an add on video card is used it can be either AMD or Nvidea without worrying about problems with adding a second/dual video card further down the line (your sister may not, but you may Alan ;) ) all done for less cash as well :D

You have not included an OS such as Windows 7/8/8.1 64-bit, what will you be using.

Looks really good (http://pcpartpicker....ard-gaf2a88xup4)

I've done a bit of research. Looks like it can handle 1x VGA and 2xDVI-I/D correct? The Processor looks fantastic w/ a similar benchmark to a Radeon HD 6550D (Which is higher then my original GPU of a GT 620 (Other System). The Proccessor does not have Hyperthreading though. Will that be an issue if she streams and watches YT videos?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,745 posts
Colleague iammykyl will 100% advise you well at all times but please wait until you are at your best before making any purchase decisions :thumbsup:

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
The computer isn't even for me. It's going to be my sisters. My dad will take a look most likely and talk to my sister... I've been ordered a weeks of bedrest. Not happening. Too much work to do.

I only have 1 question, I plan to install a FW and a AS/AV program on her computer (Avast! + Comodo) Will the computer be able to handle that w/o the Hyper Threading? I a very sensitive about computer security and I have demanded that she be using programs other then Windows Defender/MSE.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,745 posts

I've done a bit of research. Looks like it can handle 1x VGA and 2xDVI-I/D correct?

1 x D-Sub - 1 x DVI-DHDMI - 1 x HDMI Display Port - 1 x Display Port
The suggested CPU is more than enough for the intended use but please do not expect to play any demanding games in high settings on multiple screens, for this you would require an add on video card, you will not get a decent add on card capable of such performance for less than $199.99+.

HyperThreading Technology is primarily used by professionals for their work in CAD, 3D modelling, rendering video and games programming etc, the average user will not reap the benefits of a CPU that has HTT such as the Intel i7 or Xeon processors, you most certainly do not need HTT capability to run third party AV and Firewall protection, also keep in mind that the intended use of the computer will not even utilize all four cores of a quad processor and so an 8 core AMD CPU (the AMD equivalant to HTT so to speak) would be a waste of resources, both performance and financial outlay wise, a random topic that I found via Google covering HTT etc

I a very sensitive about computer security and I have demanded that she be using programs other then Windows Defender/MSE.

The former is a very sensible approach but the latter is rather unfair as Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1 is basically MSE which is regarded as one of the best AV programs that you can get, see article provided courtesy of admin here, if you opt for installing Windows 7 but not MSE I suggest Avast and ZoneAlarm both tried and trusted protection.

Get well soon BTW :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Been a bit busy, so many thanks to Phillower2 for answering your questions, Posted Image so well covered there is little for me to add except, Can You Play It.,
> http://www.futuremar...+HD+7560D/games

Good luck.

Edit, OS. Suggest Windows 7 as it uses less video resources, (disable Aero when gaming for better performance)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,745 posts
You are welcome iammykyl :)

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
I personally have a hatred towards MSE. I haven't seen much about WD. I know there is a minor difference. But still hate it. Reason being. I know it for the most part has great RT scanning (So If I were to drop a random piece of malware it'd pick it up.) but from what I've seen, it doens't have a Web/Network shield. If it does, I've never, not once see it be able to block any malicious website under testing.

I personally use Avast! w/ Comodo FW which when I am not goofing off has kept me malware free for almost half a year now. If I were looking for a substitue for the MSE RT protection, I'd put MBAM pro on her system using MBAM Beta 2.0.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Gday.
Been a bit busy, so many thanks to Phillower2 for answering your questions, Posted Image so well covered there is little for me to add except, Can You Play It.,
> http://www.futuremar...+HD+7560D/games

Good luck.

Edit, OS. Suggest Windows 7 as it uses less video resources, (disable Aero when gaming for better performance)

Hey, another site I can use to see if I can play it. (Which isn't currently an issue since my host machine is an i7 w/ GTX 760DCII OC. However, always love to have some fun w/ those sites. Also, yeah, thinking the same thing on 7. As it does have the ability to disable AERO mode.