Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tried to restore my computer now its saying BOOTMGR is missing?

• Please log in to reply

BriannaMarie

BriannaMarie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So last night I decided that my laptop was running too slowly due to all of the things I have downloaded in the past. So I tried to restore my whole computer to factory settings. Now, I'm not the smartest with computers, obviously. And the restore got to %100 while the 'System update' remained at %0 So I remained patient and waited. After about 10 minutes it said there was an error so I restarted it. Well when I turned it on it said "BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl+alt+Del to restart"so I did. Just brought me right back to it. So I did my research and all I've found was to use my startup disc that I got with my computer. I no longer have it. I've asked around, no one I know has it. Then there's another option, to download something, and burn it to a CD. I have no computer to do that on, nor do I know how to burn CD's. Then I found out that you can just press f8 and it will take you to a startup menu. Tried that, nothing happens. Is there any other way I can fix this? Ive done multiple live chats with Microsoft and they were gonna charge me $50+ just for their help. And the Acer live chat is only available if you have a valid warranty.

Edited by BriannaMarie, 12 February 2014 - 03:40 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: BriannaMarie

So I tried to restore my whole computer to factory settings.

What exactly did you do.

Then I found out that you can just press f8 and it will take you to a startup menu.

What options are given.

BriannaMarie

BriannaMarie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

:welcome: BriannaMarie

So I tried to restore my whole computer to factory settings.

What exactly did you do.

Then I found out that you can just press f8 and it will take you to a startup menu.

What options are given.

I don't remember exactly I went to control panel, went to something else, and went to restore to factory settings. I didn't back anything up either.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Check for a recovery partition on the HDD

1. Power on the computer
2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the Alt key and press the F10 key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery.
3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click Restore to Factory Default Settings
4. Click OK to continue
5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).
6. Once eRecovery has run, press OK to reboot unit

Note that all data will be lost during this process and your computer will be brought back to it's original factory state and settings.

If the above does not work post back with the following information;
The OS that you are using, Vista, Windows 7/8/8.1 + is it 32 or 64-bit.
Do you have the 25 digit Microsoft product key for the computer, just a yes or no answer required and please do not post the product key details here if you do have them.
Do you have or can you borrow a USB thumb drive with a 4GB or more storage capacity, this needs to be blank as the data on it will be formatted in the process that we may need to follow to put the notebook back in working order.