Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ddr memory question

• Please log in to reply

smky143

smky143

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
So if my motherboard supports 3gb of memory and I put 3, 1024mb sticks in its not going to mess it up will it. The motherboard will just use the 3 and ignore the rest correct? Or not. Also what do I want ddr266, 333, or 400.(pc2100, pc2700, pc3200) My guess would be the pc3200 but thats just because it is a bigger number. 8)

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

So if my motherboard supports 3gb of memory and I put 3, 1024mb sticks in its not going to mess it up will it.  The motherboard will just use the 3 and ignore the rest correct? Or not.  Also what do I want ddr266, 333, or 400.(pc2100, pc2700, pc3200)  My guess would be the pc3200 but thats just because it is a bigger number.  8)

View Post

the numbers depend on the motherboard and what it supports. As for the 3gig question i really can't understand what you mean by ignore the rest try rewording the question and maybe i can help.

smky143

smky143

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
the motherboard can take all 3 of the memory types, I just dont know which is better. As for the rest I mean if I install three of the 1024mb sticks that would be more than the 3gb that my motherboard supports. This is because I am understanding that 1000mb is 1gb. But Im new at this so please bare with me and thanks for all the help.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
1024mb is technically a gig people just say 1000
what motherboard do you have i doubt it can support any type they are very different kinds of ram

smky143

smky143

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Gigabyte 8I848P-G Intel Socket 478 ATX Motherboard

Memory

Number of Slots

Number of Pins
184-Pin

Maximum Memory Supported
3GB

Memory Supported
DDR266 (PC2100)
DDR333 (PC2700)
DDR400 (PC3200)

Max. Memory Supported Per Slot
2GB

http://www.tigerdire...&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
looks good but i have never seen a mobo that supported all ram. i am thinking of getting it also.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you use all the available slots for your RAM thenit can slow down the overall speed of your RAM, at least on the AMD mobos ive looked at it does anyway check the manual.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
only if you use different speed rams if you use the same speed it will run at the same speed on al the slots and it won't slow it down. Your ram is only as fast as the slowest stick of ram. I reccomend getting the pc 3200 ram. Get a dual stick though you need ram so get a little more expensive better ram and you will notice the difference right away.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No in fact i was just reading the manual for the MSI NF4 ultra mobo and it clearly says that if you use four identical sticks of ddr400 ram you will get an actual performance from your ram of ddr333. I only make a point of it as it was an interesting phenomenon i dont know if it is shared by other nf4 boards.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
warriorscot is correct when maxing out the ram on most boards you have to set the ram clock back a notch. this is only when using the max amount of ram the board will support. Makes you wonder if its worth while installing the max

Rick

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
here is the web page for your board.
if you dont have the manual, download it.
check it out, it should tell you if the following is the case.

boards with 3 ram slots will only support 2 sticks in the dual channel mode. so to maximize your PC3200 (yes you want that), get a dual channel kit, meaning 2 matched sticks of ram.
they will then double their bandwidth in dual channel mode, giving you a fsb speed of 800.

to max out your board, get 2 1gig sticks, load them in the dual channel slots, and you will be set.

realistically, 1 gig (2 512 sticks) in dual channel mode is great for even gaming purposes. unless you are doing applications that require HUGE amounts of ram, you should be fine like that.

hudihoo, mobos supporting multiple ram speeds is quite common these days.

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

to max out your board, get 2 1gig sticks, load them in the dual channel slots, and you will be set.

What do you mean by dual channel slots. On my Mobo (Asus K8VSE Delux), there are 3 ram slots one is yellow the other two are blue. So if i wanted to upgrade my ram to two dual 1gig sticks i would put them in the two blue ones?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
actually it would likely be the yellow, and one of the blues. check your manual for proper slot config.