Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

First Time Computer Building!

• Please log in to reply

Feroxygen

Feroxygen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Here is the link! http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SoaS

I plan to use this computer for some gaming- probably league of legends, games on steam and some fps.
This build is only around 500 dollars because I don't want to spend too much on my first build ever due to lack of experience.
Is my build sufficient for an mediocre gaming experience? Maybe a solid 60 fps on league of legends? How is my video card? I heard
it was kind of old but then it got a lot of good reviews (also it is 200 dollars). Also do I need a after-market fan and case fans? THANKS A LOT.

*CPU :AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
*Cooler: Planning to use stock (should I get an after-market one?)
*Motherboard : Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard
* RAM: Kingston XMP Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
*Harddrive Memory: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
*Graphics/ Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (I might want to down grade a little bit because this is around $200)
*Case : Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case (This was just a cheap mid tower case I found)
*Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Budget friendly and power saving)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
While the Corsair is a great quality PSU, you are right on the limit (in fact, just below) for power consumption for that graphics card. I suggest either downgrading the graphics card as you have mentioned, or upgrade the PSU to give you a little more headroom - something like a Corsair 500W or 550W would be better.

http://www.geforce.c.../specifications

And welcome :wave:

Feroxygen

Feroxygen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oh I didn't even realize! Thanks a lot! :) Now to figure out if the rest of my set up is fine :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Hope you don`t mind the interjection folks :)

Feroxygen
Couple of pointers for you;

The cost of your list of parts;

This build is only around 500 dollars

Your list of parts with the $10 discount applied and the $3.99 shipping cost that is listed also included totals $572.93

The parts themselves;
*CPU :AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor You do not need a 6 core CPU for your intended use, a quad core is adequate and you will most likely not even use all four of those.
*Cooler: Planning to use stock (should I get an after-market one?) If the CPU that you purchase is supplied with a heatsink and cooling fan you should use them or you will void your CPU warranty;

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.
Full AMD article @ http://support.amd.c...earLimited.aspx

*Motherboard : Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard Micro ATX form factor that you may find a struggle for space with some add on video cards as they can be quite large, there is only one PCI-E video card slot so Crossfire and Sli is ruled out should you ever wish to add a second add on video card.
* RAM: Kingston XMP Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory I couldn`t find anything better for the same price.
*Harddrive Memory: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Only 32MB of cache and I did not see any warranty details.
*Graphics/ Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (I might want to down grade a little bit because this is around $200) A good 192-bit video card.
*Case : Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case (This was just a cheap mid tower case I found) Mainly plastic which holds in the heat + it does not have any front USB 3.0 ports.
*Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Budget friendly and power saving) Troy has already addressed this.

Made a couple of changes Alternative Feroxygen list

Also worth a mention, you do not have an optical drive such as a DVD RW or an OS disk such as Windows 7 64-bit on your list, what OS will you be using and how will you be installing it.

Feroxygen

Feroxygen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Phill! I've taken your suggestions into consideration. The fx 6300 and the cpu you suggested is only about 15 dollars apart so I think I will stick with the 6300.
Also is the gpu you suggested on the same performance level as the gtx 660?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
You are welcome Feroxygen :)

I was trying to save you some cash with the CPU but without impacting the performance, your build and budget and I respect that :thumbsup:

The GPU that I suggested is not quite as fast as the GTX 660, it is however 256-bit and so can produce better in depth video quality + it is also only $169.99 after claiming the mail in rebate from Newegg , the cost of the GTX 660 was something that you mentioned in your OP and I kept that in mind.

Updated list, hope you don`t mind but after checking for price drops I changed the PSU to the more powerful 600W model as it is the same price as the 500W model after claiming the mail in rebate, having the 600W model gives you better upgrade options for the future such as adding additional HDDs and case fans etc.

Video card benchmarks