Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can anyone give me some tips to make windows 7 boot quicker?

• Please log in to reply

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi,I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to make my windows boot a little bit quicker.
I use a dell latitude e5420 with Windows 7 Pro x64 and i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz with 4gb of ddr3 RAM.
I regularly clean with ccleaner,defragment my drive and perform a disk file clean up now and then but other than adjusting my start up programs I don't know what else to do.
As for start-up programs I am unsure of what processes I need to run and which I don't therefore I'm sure I have a couple that maybe I could do without.
I was considering upgrading my ram to 8gb ddr3 but read somewhere that 8gb is over the top and un needed for win 7 unless you play video games on your computer.
Any suggestions would be great.
thanks.
:)

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Initially I would suggest you trim the startup programmes, generally the only ones that need to start with windows is your antivirus/firewall. Other than those the rest are usually dross

What sort of startup times are you getting

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi Essexboy,
a big thanks for helping me to clean the malware from my laptop...I have it configured great at the moment.
I looked online at the processes on nueber and there were a couple of one start up processes that were safe to disable which I done and it made a helluva difference to the boot time.
I also done a disk clean up.I then found a tip online about msconfig where you goto boot menu>advanced and then up the processors.
I upped mine to 4(I'm not even sure if my processor is a 2 core or 4 core but it has also made a difference.
btw can you tell me if my processor is a 2 or 4 core? (its an intel i5-2520m)
can you also tell me if upgrading the ram from 4gb to 8gb would improve anything or is it a waste of time as I don't play games etc.
I'm going to re-boot just now to see how long it takes.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
I just booted and it took 40 seconds to have my desktop completely up and running.
I have winstep nexus dock though which must add a good bit to start up time.
but have no gadgets running or anything.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It is a 2 core 4 thread CPU

Generally if it is just a standard system where you play a bit of music, watch the odd video and just generally do not use it for any graphic intensive task then you should be OK

There is an MS tool that will optimize the file placement for boot on your drive, I use it when I update any low level drivers. My boot time from pressing the power button to being online is about 25-30 seconds

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
thanks for that mate.I thought it might only be a 2 core.
I changed the processors in boot from 4 to 2 .
can you tell me more about this mstool and how to use it?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Here is the basic write up on it.. http://www.msfn.org/...a-or-windows-7/

Or a more detailed analysis http://www.autoitcon...g-boot-process/

I have constructed some instructions on how to run the tool

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi Essexboy,
I defragged my hd and uninstalled nexus dock and my boot speed is pretty good now.
Thanks for the info on that mstool.
Thanks again for all your help,much appreciated.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
My pleasure :)