Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC slow and CPU Usage off charts

• Please log in to reply

hanseric

hanseric

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Over the last day or two I've been experiencing severe degradation in my computer's speed. At first I thought it was just Chrome but now it appears to be across the entire OS.

Looking over some of the other posts I went ahead and ran some of the recommended utilities and am posting the log results here in case that helps.

I also tried opening Windows Task Manager and it itself is stuck and the CPU Usage field at the bottom is bouncing between "100% and some other number which I can't make out. Perhaps it's just because the window is frozen that it is showing high CPU usage.

Symptoms I've noticed:

> Browser will open and seem fine. Then I enter a website (web app like prezi.com for creating presentations or something similar--i.e. usually not just static web page--and it can take a full minute or more to open.
> Routine Windows operations like opening a window or going to Control Panel seem about 5-10x slower than usual. Eventually they open (as is the case with web pages).
> Oddly I can move the mouse and sometimes some windows will be affected (frozen) while others will not. Seems like one window will freeze while others can be closed, although I'm not certain that's reproducible.
> No BSODs
> Have had to hold power button down 2x today to get out of total freeze though.

Tried System Restore, but there was only one available point and it was earlier today, which was after the trouble started.

I don't know much about using Performance Monitor but managed to follow a YouTube video to set up capturing Pages/sec and a couple of other measurements. I opened one of the aforementioned web pages and ran Monitor while doing so. Results are included in attachments in case that's of any use.

If there are any other things I can do to diagnose this I'd welcome any and all direction.

Also including a Belard profile taken just now as that may be helpful by way of an inventory of the hardware and software.

For quick reference, PC is a Lenovo T420 notebook with 8GB of RAM.

Many thanks in advance!

Hans

EDIT:
Belarc advisor report removed for security - product keys details etc
OTL removed, they are not used outside of the malware forums.

Attached Thumbnails

• Performance Monitor while opening web page.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by phillpower2, 14 February 2014 - 03:25 AM.
Details included above.

Advertisements

hanseric

hanseric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
PS, I ran Old Timer to remove temp filese and while there was about 14MB of junk removed, it didn't seem to help otherwise.

hanseric

hanseric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
A little more info: that 100% CPU thing looks like it might have been a hiccup in the OS related to the window being stuck open or something. I'm watching Task Manager as I do stuff now and nothing brings it much over 10% on the average.

But the most basic of interactions with Windows are very slow. E.g.: If I go to Start and type some text in to find an application, it might take a full 10 seconds for my typing to show and a lot of extra time to then find the app, and so on.

Anyone have any ideas?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello hanseric

Can you run Speccy and post the resultant url for us please, details here

Mr.V

Mr.V

• Pip
  • 3 posts
remove your current os and reinstall os with a good antivirus it seems virus attack.

hanseric

hanseric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
That's a super cool tool (Speccy). Thanks for that tip.

Here's the profile link: http://speccy.pirifo...awOEvqwud44Kswa

Would have responded to this sooner but it turned out I had another issue going which was keeping me from visiting certain websites. Was very hard to trace but turned out to be DNS issue.

I haven't experienced the problem I posted in the OP of this thread that I have noticed.

However my Windows Explorder keeps seizing up every day/couple days. More of an annoyance than anything but I mention it here in case it's related somehow.

The description of that is on another thread (forgot I had posted this one here until just now, when I was going through my unread notifications).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
As you appear to have resolved the initial issue that you post in your OP here can I ask that you continue to work with Ztruker on the latter issue at your other topic, this will avoid any possible confusion as to who`s guidance you are following.

Good luck with resolving this latest issue :thumbsup:

hanseric

hanseric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok thanks. Will do. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts