Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

home page

• Please log in to reply

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
hey there i work at a school as an it technition basically i want to have google as my home page not the school website i set this all the time, but the logon script sets it back to the school any1 know any solutions it is part of a domain and i cant set it in group policies simply because the account has multiple users, any ideas?

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
If they've set the homepage with a default as a domain policy, the only way to change the homepage is to change the policy, sorry.

You could get another type of browser (like Firefox) and set that homepage to whatever you wish if policies allow you to install software. Domain policies on browsers only affect Internet Explorer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if this change is being set through a logon script instead of a group or domain policy you can make youself(or have an administrator) an exact copy of the other script just without the homepage setting or with a modified one and have that script only apply to you.

The one

The one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
i cant change it like that because it is a admin account all the techy staff use and only a few of us want it so we need a solution that will effect only me on my laptop.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah so multiple people are usin one admin acount? that is such a bad idea. why not just make individual accounts and give them admin rights. that way when someone get's pissed off at the job and deletes all the shared files off of the network you have a record of what user did it instead of it being "admin". plus if someone hacks your admin account and changes the password you wont be able to get in where as if you have your own admin acount you can just reset the password.

The one

The one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
we do all have individual admin accounts we just choose not to use them because that way we can unlock each others workstations without logging them off and causin problems.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah, well then there is probably not a way for you to effectively solve the problem.

The one

The one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
the only way i could think is to have a script that sets the homepage that i want and then to get a program that will run that script continously.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well you could write the script then use windows task scheduler to run it every so often.

The one

The one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
i wouldnt know where to start with that script lol but the other bit sounds good

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well you can look at the current script and see where the homepage gets set and just copy that part out.