Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer repeatedly Shuts Off After Boot

• Please log in to reply

Insecure5081

Insecure5081

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey, I used to have a really crappy CPU fan (it came with my old build) which was always running on max RPM and therefore extremely loud. Also I always had a "CPU Fan Error" Screen on startup. So I just ordered a new one and installed it hoping all my problems would be fixed, but now everytime I boot up my PC it stays on for a while and then shuts off. Usually it shuts off after windows has already loaded up and everything, but other times it has shut off before that. I'm also still getting the "CPU Fan Error" Screen on startup.

Could anyone help me solve these issues please?

My specs:
New CPU Fan: Click Here
Motherboard: Click Here
CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 710
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT
PSU: 720w
RAM: 4GB AMD Optimized

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Insecure5081, Posted Image
Did you completely clean off every trace of the old TIM (thermal insulation material) from the top of the CPU using a kit like this,
> http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835100010 or 98% pure isopropyl alcohol?
Did you remove the protective plastic film from the bottom of the new cooler heat-sink, (if present)?
Did you apply new fresh TIM to the top of the CPU, (amount, about the size of a cooked grain of rice, no more the the size of a BB)?
Have you plugged in the cooler fan to the CPU 4 pin socket on the MB, not the 3 pin system header?

Please check that the RAM and GPU are still properly seated and check same for the two power cables to the MB and the cable/s to the GPU.
A flaky PSU could also cause those problems so please give the brand/model.

Insecure5081

Insecure5081

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I did clean off all the thermal paste but I didn't have any alcahol or substance to break down the thermal paste so I just cleaned it off with a few Q tips.

The CPU fan came with pre-applied thermal paste so I just left it as is, and yes I did remove the plastic bottom.

I just realized my last fan had a 3-pin connector and this new one has a 4-pin. I made a really silly mistake of putting this new connector in the same spot and that was the cause of one of my problems :rolleyes:

I no longer haev the CPU error but I just checked and my computer is still shutting off :(

I also just checked and found that I have a 500w PSU instead of a 720w.

http://www.coolermas...ower-plus-500w/

All the parts and connectors are firmly in place as well, I double checked even tho I never touched them.

Edited by Insecure5081, 19 February 2014 - 02:17 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Very easy to get the CPU fan on the wrong header, good to have that sorted.
Are the crashes the same as before?
Crashing before getting windows desktop?
Crashing when running idle?
crashing as soon as you open a browser?
Crashing when you start playing a game?

Unfortunately your PSU is not of good quality, does meet requirements for your GPU, may have been OK when new but likely to give problems as it gets older.
> http://www.hardwares...y-Review/728/10
Please download HWmonitor > http://www.cpuid.com...setup.exe Please make sure all + are expanded. Take one screenshot then scroll to see the bottom, take another screenshot, upload both in your next reply.

Insecure5081

Insecure5081

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The crashes are the same as before, crashing randomly even when there isn't much load on the computer. Sometimes it starts up and crashes before the login screen. Other times it crashes after windows loads. And other times I'm able to actually use my computer for a while then it simply shuts off at some point.

Also I think you might be right about my PSU, I actually have another one but it's only a Dynex 400w ATX PSU. It's brand new and unused

http://www.dynexprod.../DX-400WPS.html

Would it be okay for me to switch them out?

Attached Thumbnails

• SS.png

Edited by Insecure5081, 23 February 2014 - 04:24 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Insecure5081

Hope you don`t mind if I chime in while iammykyl is offline.

For now I would leave the present PSU in but remove the 9600 GT video card and it`s drivers and try using the MBs integrated video chip to see if the behaviour changes.

As mentioned previously by iammykyl, the present PSU is of poor quality and when it was independently tested that model of PSU only achieved 360W, if your video card is the model that requires a supplemental 6 pin PCI-E connection from the PSU then it also requires a clean and stable power supply of 400W, fitting the 400W Dynex would change nothing in this case as the video card may already be damaged + again the PSU brand is of questionable quality.

The HWMonitor PSU readings are out of wack so see if we get the same with Speedfan;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Insecure5081

Insecure5081

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Right now I have the computer started up and it's fine except there seems to be a bit of a performance drop. The other day I was having the problem with it constantly shutting off within short periods of time, and after a certain number of times turning it on it stayed on until last night where I had left an fps game (DayZ) running. I woke up and met my computer off and the constant shut offs started again.

Just to give a bit more information on what problems I'm having.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Is this having removed the 9600 GT video card (it is not showing in Speedfan so I assume that it is).

Speedfan confirms that your CPU is overheating, the safe maximum operating temperature is 73°C and in Speedfan and HWMonitor it is just over 81°C, also keep in mind that this is when the computer is not under load.

Uncheck the Automatic fan speed box in Speedfan and manually increase the PWM.1 fan from 20% to 100% and see if the temperatures drop any.

Next restart the computer and check the temps and voltages in the BIOS.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Insecure5081

Insecure5081

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
First of all both of these readings are with the 9600 GT (idk why it doesn't show it). I just checked the BIOS and it said about the same thing as speedfan did with the temps. and voltages. I changed the min fan duty cycle from 20% to 40, and the max from 50% to 70 in the BIOS settings.

Here's the readings after increasing the speed in speedfan to 100% before the BIOS check, at one point it dropped to 73C.

Should I still go ahead and switch to my integrated graphics card?

Attached Thumbnails

• as.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
The fact that the BIOS readings show the same as in Speedfan suggests either a thermal compound or cooling fan issue, this because the voltages are not far off being spot on, please see the attachment below.

Yes physically remove the 9600GT video card and it`s drivers and then run HWMonitor and Speedfan to check the temps and voltages.

Advertisements

Insecure5081

Insecure5081

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Okay so I just uninstalled my 9600 GT and Nvidia drivers and switched to the integrated one. The temps are actually higher now and my fan is spinning faster.

Attached Thumbnails

• papa.png
  • sasa.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Has the computer ever been overclocked in any way.

Try restoring the MBs default factory settings in the BIOS, they may be shown as "restore default settings" or "most stable settings" if there is no improvement in the temperatures I would leave the 9600GT out and swap the Dynex 400W PSU for the Cooler Master PSU and see how that goes.

As an asides, high voltages are normally responsible for causing or at least being associated with high temps but it would not appear to be the case here.

Insecure5081

Insecure5081

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The default MB settings didn't help, and I don't OC my PC. By the way I do have some thermal paste, would you recommend I clean off the pre-applied thermal paste and apply some fresh paste? I may have smudged it a bit when installing the CPU fan.

Also I have a Geforce GT 610 GPU, would I be able to use that with the 400w PSU?

Edited by Insecure5081, 23 February 2014 - 10:39 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Applying a fresh and correct amount of thermal compound may help but only if the present thermal material is cleaned off correctly as mentioned previously by lammykyl, an example guide to help here

Also I have a Geforce GT 610 GPU, would I be able to use that with the 400w PSU?

A quality brand 400W PSU would be plenty for a GT 610 but before adding the card swap the PSUs over first and then check the HWMonitor and Speedfan results, this in case a flaky BIOS is the cause of the high temperature readings.

Insecure5081

Insecure5081

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just re-adjusted my CPU fan, and changed my PSU to the 400w, and now the temperatures are much lower! I also havn't had any random PC shut offs this entire time.

At this point is it safe to assume there is no problem with my 9600 GT? And would I have any problems with the min. wattage on my psu using it with the 9600 GT?
If it is likely my 9600 GT is damaged do you think the GT 610 would be a better choice?

Btw these readings are with the integrated card while idle.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.png
  • 2.png

Edited by Insecure5081, 23 February 2014 - 12:08 PM.