Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disconnection Problem

• Please log in to reply

Squeakyrat

Squeakyrat

• Pip
  • 2 posts
We have a Linksys router hooked up to cable; three computers are wired, one (the laptop) is wireless. They have varying different network cards within each. At this point the file sharing works on each of them (the laptop was complex due to its traveling to school and back, but it works now). All computers except the laptop have Win XP Pro.

My problem is my own desktop computer. It has suddenly and without warning decided that it is going to disconnect whenever I try to transfer very large files to or from it. I'm working with editing videos, and for weeks it would let me transfer to and from easily. Now, within the last few days it will not hold the connection. It will lose both the internet and the network connection, and I have to disable and enable to get it working again.

On average the files seem to take 10-15 minutes to transfer fully, and it might disconnect from 5-10 minutes into the transfer. It never used to. None of the others do. It's really very infuriating.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling the card's driver, I've reset the router. It still continues to drop the connection.

Has anyone else ever had this problem or have any suggestions on what to do about it? I don't want to run out and buy a new network card if it's not a hardware problem.. but I'm at a loss.

(Moving this post to the right area..)

Advertisements

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Sounds like a virus/spyware to me. I have seen it before.
Do you have any good anti spyware software like spysweeper ? with latest defenitions. Or Micro trend ? anything ?

digitaly

digitaly

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
We need to know more about your system... If is wireless router that you are using try to change the channel... do you use DHCP? if yes configure your machines IPs manualy. Also you can do a system restore to an erlyer time when you know it was working... let us know

digitaly

digitaly

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Also try this...
Go to Control Panel, System, click the Hardware Tab at the top. Click the Device Manager button. Now scroll down the list until you see Network Adapters. Expand it and right click your network card and click uninstall. Now reboot the computer. When windows reboots it will say it "Found New Hardware" Let it install the network card and then try ipconfig /release press enter the type ipconfig /renew and press enter and try again.