Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

replace xp with 7 or 8

• Please log in to reply

chrisedge

chrisedge

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
is it poss to install windows 7 or 8 on a laptop with XP. Is it easy ? Can I use one disc for two PCs wireless linked?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello chrisedge

Some information for you to check out first of all, see here

Next, run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor to make sure that your notebook has the required hardware, if the notebook is found to be ok for Windows 7 then it should also be fine for Windows 8.

chrisedge

chrisedge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi thanks for reply. I have run to see if all compatible & it is. I must do custom install which may take a few hours!!!! Now there is nothing wrong with either of our 2 laptops but is it really worth going this route? Will I save a lot of money or best to get a refurbished one (2) off ebay. Your opinion will be looked forardto again thanks Chris

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello Chris

Good news that the two notebooks have the required specs for them to upgrade to W7/8.

Will I save a lot of money or best to get a refurbished one (2) off ebay.

If you tell us the brand and model name or number of the two notebooks, any upgrades that they may have had (additional Ram added for example) and what the main use of the notebooks is we will then be able to give you a more accurate answer to your question.

You are welcome btw :)

chrisedge

chrisedge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi laptops as follows. dell D820 cpu 1.6Ghz ram 1.00GB HD 80GB
D630 1.8 512MB 80
xp up to date wireless
usage purely private elderly works psp9 avg14 spybot my pics used a bit, emails, ebay banking. no daft shoot up games!
kindle & android tablets for games. hope this ok chris

Edited by chrisedge, 20 February 2014 - 08:31 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Neither of those are really good Windows 7/8 platforms. Not enough RAM. 2GB is really the minimum for 7 or 8. It will run in 1GB but bnot well and you will not be happy with it.

Either upgrade the RAM to 2GB or more or look at new/refurb laptops.

Edit: You will also need two copies of Windows 7/8 as you will need two installation keys.

chrisedge

chrisedge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
thanks & time for thought. chris

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Did a quick check and found that the Dell D820 will accept 4GB of Ram (2 X 2GB sticks) the maximum that a 32-bit OS will recognise is 3/3.5GB, please keep this in mind if you do decide to upgrade + if and when purchasing the new OS, the Dell D630 will accept 8GB of Ram (2 X 4GB sticks) and so is good with a 64-bit OS.

To confirm both of the above, use the Crucial system scanner tool to find the best recommended Ram for your system/s, no need to purchase from there, write down the details and shop around for the best deal/s, let us know what is suggested and we can also look for you.

In addition to the maximum amount of Ram that a 32-bit OS will utilize, I would also check that the CPU data width on the Dell D630 is 64-bit before upgrading to 8GB of Ram and purchasing 64-bit OS, you can use the Intel® Processor Identification Utility to check this, details here

NB: Also keep in mind that you may have other 32-bit software installed on both notebook hard drives that will not run on a 64-bit OS.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
Windows 8 and 8.1 is a huge update for someone that is used to windows XP. I would say go with windows 7.