Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Again with the USB device driver error.

0x000000FE: BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER
Usually indicates a USB driver problem. Makes ure, though, that you have the latest Windows service pack installed.

Advertisements

Tyskie

Tyskie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi Ron,

Thank you for your continued patience. I have checked and my system tells me that Windows 7 SP1 is installed (I believe there are no newer service packs available).

On checking for additional updates, there are 8 optional updates which I have not installed. Some only say they are to 'resolve issues in Windows', I wonder if any might help fix my problem? From reading the various Microsoft Knowledge Databases about the KB... codes, I don't think so.

It looks like I will have to try disconnecting the USB devices as previously suggested and go from there, but I may not be able to do this straight away as I need them to be connected to be able to perform the functions for which I use this computer.

If there is nothing else I can try first I will understand.

Thanks again for your help so far! :thumbsup:

Luke.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes go ahead and do the optional updates. Let us know how the disconnecting of USB devices works out.

Tyskie

Tyskie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Hi Ron,

Well, the computer finally packed up and I've had to get a new one. Disconnecting the devices did not help as there was still a BSOD. The computer just stopped one day (screen froze). I waited about 5 minutes and then rebooted the computer and it wouldn't recognise the disk. I tried different cables, all the SATA sockets and the only one that seemed to recognise the disk was a red SATA socket on the motherboard, but that would not boot to Windows - I'm wondering if it's some sort of diagnostics connection as it flashed up the name of the disk but then showed a message saying I must reboot the PC.

The PC is at home now, I've tried using the SSD manufacturer's toolkit to recover it but to no avail at this stage. At least I've managed to recover my files.

I don't know if the disk is damaged beyond repair but I don't have the time to try and repair it right now. I will come back to you if and when I try to save my disk but you can close this topic if you like.

Regards,

Luke.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Thanks for the update and if you need help in saving data you can try a Linux Live cd to get to the data. If the drive is mechanically damaged then I'm afraid you may not be able to. Thanks for updating us on the progress. We don't close topics in this part of the forum so if you need further assistance with this issue you can return here. If something new sticks up its ugly head please start a new topic.