Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB port Exceeds power limits causing power surge

• Please log in to reply

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi,last week I installed a PCMCIA Express card with two 3.0 usb ports.
Today my laptop fell and I rebooted and received an error message in the task bar Power surge on usb port the usb device has exceeded the power limits of its hub
I then had a pop up showing 4 usb devices with a message to disable the hardware and reset to fix issue if you click close the device will not function.
I checked out my usb ports and the built in ports worked but the new 3.0 ports didn't after clicking close.
I then clicked the safely remove hardware icon and clicked remove renesas usb 3.0 and rebooted without uninstalling the pcmcia xpress card as I can't get the card out I have no eject button beside the slot.
The device then started working.
The xpress card came with a usb 2.0 power wire which you can plug into one of your laptop ports and plug into a point on the new xpress card to give it more power(I haven't used this yet)
I am using a dell e5420 latitude with win 7 pro 64 and 4gb ram and it currently has 3 usb 2.0 ports,a usb esata port and hdmi port.
If I were to disable an onboard port would this give my xpress slot more power without using the usb power wire,and is this even possible?
I'm not really sure how to fix this other than try using it with the power wire it came with...Any advice appreciated.
PS.this is the card I installed: http://www.amazon.co...ress 54 3.0 usb

Edited by mrpooh3, 19 February 2014 - 11:47 AM.

Advertisements