keyboard is working, windows is registered (I think- it doesn't come up with an error but upon first booting it pops up in the corner with a message saying improperly registered before it loads the screen that is my normal desk top.). After a few hours and 40 min into a 45 min video, it rebooted itself on me. :/
From this point forward I would like for to limit use of the machine and not to make any changes apart from what I advise please. As this may be the only way I may be be able to solve all issues...Failing that you may just have to try and locate the XP Installation Media and perform a reformat and reinstallation of the Windows Operating System.
Though all this going to pretty much moot as Micosoft is withdrawing support for XP this coming April...
Windows XP - The Elephant In The Room
Anyway lets proceed as follows shall we...
Now please go to Start >> Control Panel >> Add/Remove Programs and remove the following (if present):
Coupon Printer for Windows
Mozilla Maintenance Service
WhiteSmoke New V.13 Toolbar for IE
To do so, click once on each of the above in turn to highlight and then click on the Remove button.
Note: Take extra care in answering questions posed by any Uninstaller. Some questions may be worded to deceive you into keeping the program.
Backup the Registry:
Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.
- Please click here and download ERUNT.
- ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
- Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
- Use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder.
- Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
- Choose a location for the backup. Note: the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable.
- Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.
- Click on OK
- Then click on YES to create the folder.
Custom OTL Script:
Please download OTL and save it to your Desktop.
Alternate downloads are here and here.
Then download the attached fix.txt below to your Desktop:
Note: Both OTL and the Fix file need to be present on the desktop for the below to work correctly.
- Double-click on OTL.exe to start OTL.
- Click on Run Fix
- When prompted with:-
No fix has been provided!
Click Ok to load it from a file or Cancel to cancel
- Click the Ok button and navigate to the file fix.txt which you just saved to the desktop.
- Select fix.txt and click Open. Writing will now appear under the Custom Scan box
- Then click the red Run Fix button.
- Let the program run unhindered.
- If OTL asks to reboot your computer, allow it to do so. The report should appear in Notepad after the reboot.
- Launch the application, Check for Updates >> Perform quick scan.
- When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
- Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please copy and paste the log into your next reply.
When completed the above, please post back the following in the order asked for:
- How is your computer performing now, any further symptoms and or problems encountered?
- OTL Log from the Custom Script.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Log.