Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Security centre failure [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I uninstalled HitMan Pro :)

everything appears to be working fine

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (PRO) 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2014.03.03.02

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.16518
Store :: MANDYS-PC [administrator]

Protection: Enabled

3/03/2014 5:42:24 PM
mbam-log-2014-03-03 (17-42-24).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 265566
Time elapsed: 24 minute(s), 4 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

eset scan log

C:\Users\Store\Downloads\ccsetup410.exe Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D potentially unsafe application

Advertisements

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Great, but can you post the entire ESET log. This can be found in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.

GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:
OnlineScanner64.ocx - registred OK
OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK
# version=8
# IEXPLORE.EXE=11.00.9600.16428 (winblue_gdr.131013-1700)
# OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.6920
# api_version=3.0.2
# EOSSerial=9d8860adab94114e9fb8b7877ffa594d
# engine=17150
# end=finished
# remove_checked=false
# archives_checked=true
# unwanted_checked=true
# unsafe_checked=true
# antistealth_checked=true
# utc_time=2014-03-03 02:51:00
# local_time=2014-03-04 12:21:00 (+0930, AUS Central Standard Time)
# country="Australia"
# lang=1033
# osver=6.1.7601 NT Service Pack 1
# compatibility_mode=5893 16776574 100 94 0 145489300 0 0
# scanned=194474
# found=1
# cleaned=0
# scan_time=21175
sh=0F97FB08E6FC4500F86E64D3285C171C6462BD61 ft=1 fh=acbbffe185c36761 vn="Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D potentially unsafe application" ac=I fn="C:\Users\Store\Downloads\ccsetup410.exe"

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Hello there :lol:

Nicely edited ESET log from you there. The reason I need the full logs, is that some members have been known to edit out what they don't want us to see therefore making this process even harder. Indeed one item found :thumbsup:

Let's remove that entry and update some software. I have some questions for you at the bottom of this post so I can make recommendations regarding Security Programs.

1. OTL Fix

• Right click the OTL icon and select Run as Administrator.
  • Copy the entire text in the Quote box below, do not include the word QUOTE and Paste into the Custom Scans/Fixes box in OTL.

:FILES
    C:\Users\Store\Downloads\ccsetup410.exe

• Then click Run Fix
  • Click O.K if asked to Reboot.
  • An OTL fix log will be saved in the following location: C:\_OTL\MovedFiles\mmddyyyy_hhmmss.log - Where mmddyyy _hhmmss is the date and time of fix.
  • Copy and Paste the Fix Log in your next reply.

2. ENSURE AUTOMATIC UPDATES ARE ENABLED

All security updates released by Microsoft must be Automatically Installed.

• Click Start and in the search box type windows update and press ENTER.
  • Click Change Settings and make sure the Install updates automatically (recommended) option is selected, if not select it and click O.K to save settings.

3. UPDATE ADOBE

Adobe is bundled with Chrome, Google toolbar and or McAfee Security Scan. Uncheck the boxes before downloading Reader.

4.Do You Need Java? Please read:

• Java is one of the most exploited software at this time and the majority of home users can do without it. Installing the latest updates is also important
  • The easiest way to find out if Java is needed is to disable Java in your web browser. (see link below)
  • If a trusted program or webpage asks for Java then enable it, otherwise Uninstall completely using JavaRa

Update or Remove Java

• Use this link to download JavaRa
  • Run JavaRa.exe, then click on Remove Java Runtime.
  • Select the Java version you have from the drop down list, and then click on Run Uninstaller
  • Press Yes if it asks to uninstall the product.
  • Allow the uninstaller to remove the installed version.
  • Follow the next steps only if you want to keep Java install the latest version
  • When its finished, go back to JavaRa, and click Back
  • Click on Update Java Runtime and then select Download and install latest version.
  • Press Next
  • Press Java Manual Download.
  • A browser window will open with the Java download page.
  • Click the Windows offline link to download Java.
  • Run the installer.
  • Close JavaRa

I only need to see the OTL fix.txt and the answers to the following questions for next post:

1. What security programs do you now have installed? From what I can gather you have MSE, Malwarebytes Pro and Windows Defender running.

2. Is Malwarebytes Pro a free trial or fully paid for?

GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
========== FILES ==========
C:\Users\Store\Downloads\ccsetup410.exe moved successfully.

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 log created on 03052014_200552

GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
2. ENSURE AUTOMATIC UPDATES ARE ENABLED

Already done !

UPDATE ADOBE

done

for some reason, that JavaRe program didn't show the options that you outlined, I just checked what version I have from here, http://java.com/en/d...d/installed.jsp

Verified Java Version

Congratulations!
You have the recommended Java installed (Version 7 Update 51).

What security programs do you now have installed? From what I can gather you have MSE, Malwarebytes Pro and Windows Defender running

Trial version Malawarebytes, MSE, and Windows Defender plus trend micro titanium Internet Security 2014

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Hello to you, the finishing line is in sight :)

BUT and as you can see it's a big but! You have too much security, sound funny I know but the more you have running in real-time the less secure you become. Here's some advice and the choices are yours.

Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security 2014 - If you have paid for this, fine, but if it is also a trial then I can recommend a free Antivirus as an alternative. (see below)

MSE - This plus Trend Micro running is a problem as they may cancel each other out. Please uninstall this o.k

Malwarebytes and Windows Defender - Same as above, overkill. My advice here would be to disable Windows Defender via Services and use Malwarebytes instead but not the trial version.

If you use internet banking then I personally would go for a paid for AV for the extra protection. However I do not use this service so this is what I have running:

Windows Defender - Disabled, I find it a hog on resources and has interfered with things on my PC so goodbye to that. It seems a lot better on Windows 8.

Avast free edition - I find this great Anti Virus protection and has a software update tool that covers your browsers, Adobe etc.

Malwarebytes - I use this as a standalone scanner, which means I run it once a week to scan for any unwanted programs, adware etc. The full version or the trial runs in real-time and is compatible with some AV's like Avast and Trend Micro but feel that Avast covers all my needs.

So basically, I only have Avast running, use safe surfing techniques (more on that in my last post) and Malwarebytes for a once a week double check

Your Choices after you have uninstalled MSE of course

1. Keep Windows Defender and uninstall Malwarebytes and use Defender and Trend Micro.

2. Keep Malwarebytes, pay for the full version and use this with Trend Micro.

3. Disable Defender, uninstall Trend Micro, install Avast and use Malwarebytes like I do :)

This does depend on your subscription to Trend Micro, trial or paid and if you use internet banking. I was under the impression that you got rid of Trend Micro for MSE, my apologies there.

BEFORE you do anything let me know what you wish to do

P.S I am going to look at my JavaRa instructions to update them, thanks for letting me know :thumbsup:

GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I was thinking of going with this option

1. Keep Windows Defender and uninstall Malwarebytes and use Defender and Trend Micro.

as I have the full paid version of Trend Micro

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Hi there :)

Ok easy, do nothing with Defender and Trend Micro and uninstall Malwarebytes and MSE. Do that now before carrying on ok :thumbsup:

You should now have removed Malwarebytes and MSE and I'm going to tell you to put Malwarebytes back :lol:

This will mean that Defender and Trend Micro are running all the time and Malwarebytes will run when you start it only.

First, my JavaRa instructions are updated, it was an outdated installer, my apologies. This will uninstall all the old versions which Java updates leaves behind. This is a better way to update Java.

Follow in the order given

1. Remove and update Java

• Java is one of the most exploited software at this time and the majority of home users can do without it. Installing the latest updates is also important
  • The easiest way to find out if Java is needed is to disable Java in your web browser. (see link below)
  • If a trusted program or webpage asks for Java then enable it, otherwise Uninstall completely using JavaRa

Update or Remove Java

• Use this link to download JavaRa[/color]
  • In the window that opens select Extract All Files then Extract
  • Double click the JavaRa icon then click on Remove Java Runtime.
  • Select the Java version you have from the drop down list, and then click on Run Uninstaller
  • Press Yes if it asks to uninstall the product.
  • Allow the uninstaller to remove the installed version.
  • Follow the next steps only if you want to keep Java install the latest version
  • When its finished, go back to JavaRa, and click Back
  • Click on Update Java Runtime and then select Download and install latest version.
  • Press Next
  • Press Java Manual Download.
  • A browser window will open with the Java download page.
  • Click the Windows offline link to download Java.
  • Run the installer.
  • Close JavaRa

2.DOWNLOAD and INSTALL MALWAREBYTES

We will install this as a Standalone Scanner which you will run once a week.

• using this link download and install Malwarebytes
  • Before clicking Finish Uncheck the Start Free Trial checkbox if present and Select the Update and Launch Checkboxes.
  • Click Finish
  • Any updates found will now be installed and the main screen loads.
  • Close Malwabytes
  • Once a week open Malwarebytes select the Updates Tab - Select Check for Updates and click O.K
  • Once complete click the Scanner Tab and select Perform quick scan
  • The scan will take a few minutes. Once complete click O.K and Show Results
  • Make sure anything found is checked and click Remove Selected
  • A reboot may be needed please proceed if asked and that's it an additional scanner. :)

That is it we are done if you are happy :thumbsup:

We need to clean up the tools and leave you with some advice. You will have 24hrs to reply to this post if there are any problems.

Dustpan and Brush

3. DELFIX by XPLODE

We need to delete quarantined items and our tools

Tips For A Clean Surf with Toolbar and Homepage Hijack free waves

CryptoPrevent

Install the following FREE program to prevent crypto ransome ware. Information on crypto ransome ware

Use this link to download and install CryptoPrevent

Avoid the following

• Torrent downloaders, Torrent files and Torrent sites. - Otherwise known as P2P. The files are mainly illegal, contain malware and\or adult material. Steer clear of P2P programs and files..
  • Registry Cleaners - They can clean a little too much and remove needed entries. The best thing to do with the registry is leave it be.
  • PC Performance Boosters. - Programs that promise to speed up your PC. These are useless and\or come packed with Toolbars and other uneeded software that runs in the background causing, you guessed it Performance Issues!
  • Not Checking Install Screens - Dont just click next, next, next and Install when installing programs. Some of the screens may contain Browsers or Toolbars. Check each screen before clicking next.

The main thing is to Keep On Top Of Your Updates and run Weekly Scans with Malwarebytes and Trend Micro.

Select the following link and add it to your Favourites or Bookmark for future use. The answers to the majority of PC problems.

I will keep this post open for 24 hours if you need assistance. If after that you need help then please start a new Topic in the appropriate forum. :wave:

GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Awesome stuff. Thanks for all your help. Annoyed that it was only a password issue all the time. Because my daughter uses a long password it was difficult to pick up that only one letter was missing., anyway I shall get to putting your last pieces of advice to use. thanks again

Advertisements

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.