Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need internet

• Please log in to reply

JoeJoeyJoeJoe

JoeJoeyJoeJoe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've just moved homes for university, and basically my question is can I still have my own internet when there is already wireless internet here? ie a phone line is already being used? What would I have to do to get my own internet?

Advertisements

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
is this some kind of joke? Seriously? You don't know how to get "internet"?
You need to include information if you expect help. Are you in the US? What are the rules of your dormatories? Are you allowed to install your own cable TV and Internet? You don't know how to call and ISP?

JoeJoeyJoeJoe

JoeJoeyJoeJoe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
well I actually dont know how to get internet, I know you need an active phoneline but I didnt know if you could have more than one modem/router on the one line. Its all sorted though. What would my dormitory rules have anything to do with my question? its so basic.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: JoeJoeyJoeJoe

Acknowledged that you now have an answer to your question, if however you would like to ask anything else please let us know.

What would my dormitory rules have anything to do with my question?

In answer to the above, your place of study may have rules in place regarding internet connectivity and usage, this is typically overseen by a System Administrator who manages the universities network system and such things as Firewalls and system security settings etc ( parental controls comes to mind).

As an asides while they can be expensive to use you can get wireless internet dongles such as this one here, this negates the need for any phone line/Ethernet cable to router connection.

Hope this helps.