Hi phillpower2. I tried to do all the steps you indicated. Before I give you the results, let me refresh your memory of how these 2 drives are set up to operate.
I have each of them set to prompt me what I want to do. I then select play with MPC. Sometimes there are other things I want to do, and that's why I chose the "prompt for action" mode.
Now, the results. (By the way, to avoid any suspense, the drives still don't play when I select play with MPC, or even when I set them up to play with MPC as soon as a DVD is inserted.)
1. Uninstall and reinstall Drivers. Result: Window opens asking me what I want to do. I select play with MPC. Then nothing happens.
2. Microsoft Support. (This has a number of things to try.) Result: Resolution 1 does not apply to Windows XP. Resolution 2 - Run CD/DVD FixIt tool. Ran for both drives. No problems found. Resolution 3 - Manually fix corrupted registry entries (to delete Upper Filters and Lower Filters. The registry key did not have any filters to delete. Resolution 4 - Reinstall drivers. Did it again. Same result as Item 1 above.
Resolution 5 - Create registry subkey. As requested, I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi and created a new key (Controller0) and added value 1. Rebooted. Same result as Item 1 above.
3. Run CDGone. Ran it. Merged as requested. Same result as Item 1 above.
4. Uninstall and reinstall Controllers. Did it. Same result as Item 1 above.
5. Tried to uninstall MPC as per link instructions. When I came to the step where I am to highlight and delete "mplayerc.exe" and "mplayerc.ini" these files were not showing where they were supposed to be, i.e., after clicking "Find Target" button. I used the search feature and looked for both files on my C:\ drive. But they were not there.
Could that be the cause of the problem?
By the way, after posting the above, I tried to burn a DVD. I use Nero 7. However, although it burned, the program behaved strangely. Normally the buffer level is 97% to 98%. This time it continuously fluctuated from around 5% to 30%. I burned a DVD this morning before doing all the tests above and making changes and it was fine. Could the Controller0 key I made (and possibly the other changes) cause this new problem?
Edited by Jackpine, 15 March 2014 - 09:54 AM.