Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Burners suddenly don't Autoplay

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello again Jackpine

Best to start with the basics ;)

1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run CD Gone
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thanks to Broni for the above instructions :thumbsup:

For testing purposes remove Media Player Classic, directions here, please disregard any other products or services that may be offered at the link.

Try VLC instead of MPC, download here

Advertisements

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
Hi phillpower2. I tried to do all the steps you indicated. Before I give you the results, let me refresh your memory of how these 2 drives are set up to operate.

I have each of them set to prompt me what I want to do. I then select play with MPC. Sometimes there are other things I want to do, and that's why I chose the "prompt for action" mode.

Now, the results. (By the way, to avoid any suspense, the drives still don't play when I select play with MPC, or even when I set them up to play with MPC as soon as a DVD is inserted.)

1. Uninstall and reinstall Drivers. Result: Window opens asking me what I want to do. I select play with MPC. Then nothing happens.

2. Microsoft Support. (This has a number of things to try.) Result: Resolution 1 does not apply to Windows XP. Resolution 2 - Run CD/DVD FixIt tool. Ran for both drives. No problems found. Resolution 3 - Manually fix corrupted registry entries (to delete Upper Filters and Lower Filters. The registry key did not have any filters to delete. Resolution 4 - Reinstall drivers. Did it again. Same result as Item 1 above.
Resolution 5 - Create registry subkey. As requested, I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi and created a new key (Controller0) and added value 1. Rebooted. Same result as Item 1 above.

3. Run CDGone. Ran it. Merged as requested. Same result as Item 1 above.

4. Uninstall and reinstall Controllers. Did it. Same result as Item 1 above.

5. Tried to uninstall MPC as per link instructions. When I came to the step where I am to highlight and delete "mplayerc.exe" and "mplayerc.ini" these files were not showing where they were supposed to be, i.e., after clicking "Find Target" button. I used the search feature and looked for both files on my C:\ drive. But they were not there.

Could that be the cause of the problem?

By the way, after posting the above, I tried to burn a DVD. I use Nero 7. However, although it burned, the program behaved strangely. Normally the buffer level is 97% to 98%. This time it continuously fluctuated from around 5% to 30%. I burned a DVD this morning before doing all the tests above and making changes and it was fine. Could the Controller0 key I made (and possibly the other changes) cause this new problem?

Edited by Jackpine, 15 March 2014 - 09:54 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello Jackpine

Follow steps 2, 3 and 4 here please

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
I completed Steps 2 and 3. Step 4 was to create a system restore point and to backup the registry, but those were already done when I was working with Crowbar. Do I need to do them again?

The next step is Repair. I didn't do that because you said to complete only steps 2, 3 and 4. Should I do it?

Also, during step 3, I had to insert my Windows XP disk. I did that, but the drive had trouble reading it. I had to reinsert it a number of times and press continue on the Step 3 file check (not sure of the exact name) at the same time as the drive green light came on. Eventually, it finished and said to reboot, which I did. I removed the Windows XP disc before rebooting. Should I have left it in?

(By they way, after completing the above steps, I tried burning a DVD, and this time it worked fine. The buffer didn't fluctuate between the low values I noted in my earlier post. The buffer stayed at around 98% which is what it always did. I guess something corrected itself by running the Windows repair tool.)

Nevertheless, I think my questions above still need to be sorted out, particularly the Repair question. (The play problem with the drives still exists.)

Edited by Jackpine, 15 March 2014 - 04:26 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Sorry I should have been more specific, I should have said steps 2, 3, 4, system restore and then repair, I was attempting to emphasise the omission of the step 1 malware removal guidance as that is off limits on the tech forums.

You are btw prompted to create a new restore point by the software before any repair is carried out.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
Since I already did Steps 2 and 3 yesterday, do I need to do them again, or can I go directly to Step 4, and then Repair?

Also, as I pointed out, when I did Step 3 yesterday, I'm not clear about the Windows XP CD. The tool requires it to be in the drive during Step 3. It then says to reboot. Do I keep the Windows XP CD in the drive when I reboot after completing Step 3?

And do I also need to keep it in the drive when I do the Repair step?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
If you are pushed for time go straight to step 4 (with the disk in) if not repeat each step, leave the disk in and only remove it if prompted to by the program.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
I reran the Windows Repair tool: steps 2, 3, 4 and repair. I left the Windows XP CD in the drive. During the repair, the program went through all the steps. A window appeared at the end of the repair saying the system is shutting down and I need to save any work and log off. Another window then appeared sayting the Tweak tool has encountered a problem.
I logged off and waited for the window to appear asking if I want to restart. The monitor was black with only the cursor showing. I waited 10 minutes and then pressed the Reset button on the computer. It rebooted, everthing loaded, and I checked the repair log. It showed many items that were looked at. From reading the log, I can't really tell if anything was repaired.

The drives still won't work properly.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I am running out of suggestions I`m afraid :(

Can you try VLC for us, if that doesn`t work the issue may not be software related, VLC from here

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
I installed VLC player, but no luck. The disc doesn't want to play, either automatically, or when I set it to ask me what action to take. :confused: (It will only play if I start the player first, then manually select the DVD.) Blast it.

Is it possible that there has been a hardware failure on the motherboard that is causing this problem for both optical drives? If so, can it be detected?

I have one other thing that I could try as a last resort. I used Acronis to make an image of my C:\ drive in March 2012 after having some malware removed by Geeks to Go - so I know it is clean and it works. I could install that image and see if that cures the problem. At worst, I will still have the same problem, but will lose various updates such as Windows and other programs (which I can obtain again), as well as losing bookmarks, emails, etc, from March 2012 to now.

Any other ideas?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Are the two drives on the same IDE data ribbon as in one set as master and the second set as slave or are the drives the SATA type which have separate data cables and ports on the MB.

Using the back up image is a last resort and can only remedy the problem if it is software related which I suspect it may not be.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
The two drives are on the same IDE data ribbon with one set as master and the other as slave. Are you thinking that maybe the ribbon has somehow developed a fault and should be replaced, or maybe was not securely in place and possibly lossened?

I have to leave for work now, but await your next step.

Edited by Jackpine, 17 March 2014 - 04:32 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
That is correct, the cable or the socket perhaps :thumbsup:

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
I can access the website from work, but obviously can't do anything with my computer. When I get home I will check to make sure that the IDE ribbon is securely in place, then try the optical drives. If that doesn't solve it, then I will look into replacing the ribbon. I will also examine the socket for signs of trouble.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
In your own good time and no rush here :thumbsup: