Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD Burners suddenly don't Autoplay

• Please log in to reply

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
Well, I examined the IDE ribbon. It was firmly engaged in the motherboard and both drives. I removed it and examined the sockets (as best as possible, given the cramped area) as well as the ribbon connectors. Everything appeared to be intact. Nonethelss, I replaced the ribbon with an identical spare that I had left over when I built this machine.

No luck! Everything is exactly as before. No auto play, and no play when I select MPC or VLC player from the options presented. I can however, play DVDs by first selecting the player and then the DVD. Both drives successfully burn as well.

I am stumped. :wacko: Hopefully you are not! :idea:

Edited by Jackpine, 17 March 2014 - 07:13 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts
Did you get around to removing the Roxio software as I previously suggested.

Run DriverMax to see if any chipset or SMBus driver updates are suggested.
Please note that you are only allowed to download two drivers a day for free and be sure to uncheck the “install AVG toolbar” option box.

Remember to always create a new restore point before updating any drivers.

Try disconnecting the secondary/slave drive to see if the master will auto play on it`s own, if not disconnect the secondary master drive and connect the secondary slave drive as the master and try that, other than that I am also stumped :unsure:

Can I just check that Autoplay is still enabled in properties as done here

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
I had Roxio installed a while ago, but I can't find it on Add/Remove Programs. Why do you think I have it installed, and how do I remove it?

Also, aren't there some registry values that should be checked?

Edited by Jackpine, 18 March 2014 - 04:32 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts

I had Roxio installed a while ago, but I can't find it on Add/Remove Programs. Why do you think I have it installed, and how do I remove it?

I noticed it while you were working with Crowbar.

Download then run Speccy and post the resultant url for us please, details here

If the registry needs checking I will ask that a second pair of eyes takes a look, keep in mind that the registry has already been checked by Crowbar as part of the work that you both did.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
OK, I will run Speccy when I get home. What does it do?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts
It will tell us information about the hardware that you have and a list of services that are either running or stopped.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
You mentioned I have Roxio. How do I remove it when it isn't listed under Add/Remove Programs?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts
We need to confirm that it is still there first and then deal with it :thumbsup:

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
Here is the link to Speccy published profile.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts
The link is not working.

Advertisements

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
Here is the URL: http://speccy.pirifo...XyJtL7jvAwbyeOH

Does this work?

Phillpower2, here is an interesting development: I inserted a blank DVD. A window appeared asking what I wanted to do with the CD (not DVD). I selected burn using Image Burn, and the Image Burn window opened up!

But when I put in a DVD to play and I select open with MPC, nothing happens.

Question: Why would the drive recognize the blank DVD as a CD?

Also, based on this event, it would appear that there is something missing in the "command sequence" to open MPC.

Edited by Jackpine, 18 March 2014 - 05:48 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts
Thanks for the url which shows part of Roxio is still present + the properties of the two DVD drives.

Roxio UPnP Renderer 9 is still present on your computer however I don`t feel that it is responsible for the lack of the auto play function, to remove it see here

Phillpower2, here is an interesting development: I inserted a blank DVD. A window appeared asking what I wanted to do with the CD (not DVD). I selected burn using Image Burn, and the Image Burn window opened up!

But when I put in a DVD to play and I select open with MPC, nothing happens.

Question: Why would the drive recognize the blank DVD as a CD?

This would normally suggest a problem with the read lens on the drive, was it the same on both drives.

Are the disks that you cannot get to auto-play all burned media or is it the same with retail music CDs and DVDs.

Worth giving a try is AutoPlayConfig (free) which is available from here

If we need to continue with troubleshooting this I would suggest that one of the DVD drives be disconnected and MPC is fully uninstalled and a clean install carried out, this will allow us to start afresh + test each DVD drive individually, time consuming I know but at least all bases will have been covered.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
1. I followed the instructions to remove Roxio. The program was not showing as currently installed (since I had uninstalled it a few years ago.) There were no traces of Roxio in the registry where the link directed me to look.

2. I followed the instructions to remove Sonic. The only place I found traces was in the registry. I found three folders named Sonic, Sonic Solutions, and SonicSonic MPEG-2 Video Decoder. I left these alone. Keep in mind, Roxio had been uninstalled about 6 years ago, and I have used Nero exlusively since then without any problem.

3. The autoplay problem exists for retail CDs and DVDs as well as my own burned ones.

4. I ran AutoPlayConfig and it says autoplay is enabled on all drives in my system.

5. I deleted MPC and reinstalled it as part of K-lite Codec. I have updated this software from time to time as updates become available. Each time there was never any problem.

I did notice on the K-Lite setup, one of the pages offered the choice of ticking a box to enable an MPEG-decoder (I don't remember the exact words. It went to say that this would be useful when playing DVDs. I didn't tick it, and I don't remember ticking the box in the past.)

Same problem continues to exist. Could this be a registry problem, like an incorrect value setting?

Edited by Jackpine, 19 March 2014 - 05:03 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts
Before we check the registry as an outside chance that it is driver related run DriverMax to see if a driver update is recommended for your optical drive/s;

Run DriverMax to see if any driver updates are suggested.
Please note that you are only allowed to download two drivers a day for free and be sure to uncheck the “install AVG toolbar” option box.

Remember to always create a new restore point before updating any drivers.

If no joy please refer to steps 1, 2 and 3 here, step 1, I am aware that you have looked for but cannot find Roxio however after coming so far no stone should be left unturned, steps 2 and 3 involve checking the autoplay settings in the registry.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,912 posts
Hi guys,
I just want to bring up that yes, I removed that one registry entry that Combofix sets to prevent autoplay, but had asked Jackpine to re run Combofix since. The registry setting was probably added again because of that.

I will butt out now...:lol: