Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD Burners suddenly don't Autoplay

• Please log in to reply

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
I ran DriverMax and it didn't indicate there were any drivers for my optical drives that needed updating.

I ran Steps 1, 2 and 3 from the Microsoft link.

Step 1. Went to Add/Remove Programs. Easy Roxio CD Creator is not shown as being installed. I uninstalled it about 6 years ago.

Step 2. Checked value for AutoRun in HKEY\...Services\CDRom. It was 1 which is what the link said it should be.

Checked value for NoDriveTypeAutoRun in HKEY\...Policies\Explorer. It was 91 which is what the link said it should be.

Step 3. Checked value for allocatecdroms in HKEY\...Current Version\Winlogon. It was 0 which is what the link said it should be.

Personally, I would prefer if the problem could be identified and solved, rather than using Acronis to restore the C:\ drive to an image from March 2012 or doing a Windows XP repair, but nonetheless, this is frustrating. The problem exists, so the cause is hiding inside my case somewhere!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts

Hi guys,
I just want to bring up that yes, I removed that one registry entry that Combofix sets to prevent autoplay, but had asked Jackpine to re run Combofix since. The registry setting was probably added again because of that.

I will butt out now...:lol:

Thanks for confirming Mike :thumbsup:

If I could think of anything that we had not tried I would suggest it Jackpine but I am at a loss :(

As per my reply #42

If we need to continue with troubleshooting this I would suggest that one of the DVD drives be disconnected and MPC is fully uninstalled and a clean install carried out, this will allow us to start afresh + test each DVD drive individually, time consuming I know but at least all bases will have been covered.

Do the above please and can I ask that you use only retail disks for testing so that we are sure that the auto play feature is available on the disk.

As an outside chance that it helps you could download and try a free trial version of Roxio, nothing ventured, nothing gained, trial version here this may remove the previously installed Roxio software that you cannot locate.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
What's the purpose of downloading the trial version of Roxio? Do you want me to use it, or install it and then immediately uninstall it? I'm not sure what is required.

(I want to continue using Nero. it has worked without problems for about the last 6 years.)

Also:

Hi guys,
I just want to bring up that yes, I removed that one registry entry that Combofix sets to prevent autoplay, but had asked Jackpine to re run Combofix since. The registry setting was probably added again because of that.

I will butt out now...:lol:

Does the above post from Crowbar mean that the registry entry that was removed, and reinstalled, need to be removed again?

Edited by Jackpine, 21 March 2014 - 07:08 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Jackpine

Please take stock of the time and effort that you have spent in your attempts to resolve this issue, we have been here every step of the way with you and if I personally cannot think of anything further to try then I must apologise for that, my reply #34

If the registry needs checking I will ask that a second pair of eyes takes a look, keep in mind that the registry has already been checked by Crowbar as part of the work that you both did.

The OS/registry are two things that we hope never go wrong, both can and do however go awry sometimes, it is dependant on your fortune when it happens whether you get the good or the bad card, we initially tried a nuts and bolt fix which is where I came in, we had no success, you then worked with Crowbar (Mike) over on malware and as part of this work the registry was looked into, your computer has been given the all clear of malware and so this leaves a hardware or a media playing software issue.

I must reiterate the following;

If we need to continue with troubleshooting this I would suggest that one of the DVD drives be disconnected and MPC is fully uninstalled and a clean install carried out, this will allow us to start afresh + test each DVD drive individually, time consuming I know but at least all bases will have been covered.

Suggesting that you try the trial version of Roxio was for no other reason than to see if the new install removed the previously installed files - where have I heard this before :)

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
Phillpower2, I certainly appreciate the time and effort that you and Crowbar have spent helping trying to solve this devil of a problem. I will continue to follow your advice.

So...regarding Roxio. I will install the trial version. I am not clear what you want me to do next after it's installed. Please explain.

Also, if you could please give me a link to a trial Roxio, that would be greatly appreciated. (When I searched for one, the page had many different "download" buttons and I couldn't tell which was for Roxio and which were for other programs.) I will then disconnect one of the DVD drives and await further instructions.

Thanks again!

Edited by Jackpine, 21 March 2014 - 09:26 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Thank you for your understanding :thumbsup:

Well after me harping on about re-installig Roxio it transpires that it has been discontinued (see attachment) and so is ruled out.

Another option that you can try is Puppy Linux, this will leave the data on your HDD as it is because it boots from your Ram, Puppy can be burnt to disk or downloaded to a USB thumb drive and then used as a free OS which will allow you play your media and more importantly to see if the auto play function works, you may decide that it is not worth the trouble but it is another option for you to try and the most it will cost you is a blank disk if you burn an ISO, a thumb drive if you do not have one and your time.

Puppy Linux

Puppy Linux FAQ

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
I went to the Puppy Linux link and read it. And read it. And read it.

I'm afraid that this is really out of my league and I don't understand what it is that I am to do. I will likely mess things up big time because I don't have a clue what I am supposed to install, where, and how to use it.

Sorry, but any other suggestions?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
You can`t mess anything up by using Puppy Linux, it is a tool that we often use to recover data off a HDD that will not boot, that is how versatile it is and it is something that everyone should keep a copy of in case of a HDD failure or a corrupt OS prevents the computer from booting.

It is entirely up to you whether you try it or not but I have included below the details that we provide to help people to recover their data etc;

===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:
  • Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-528.iso)
    Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

There are instructions on how to boot from flash drive with puppy here; http://www.pendrivel...e-from-windows/

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click Posted Image BurnCDCC
  • Click Browse Posted Image and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start Posted Image
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK
Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second
  • Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
    CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD

Posted Image

3. Recover Your Data
  • Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives
  • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. Posted Image
  • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.
3b. Transfer Files.
  • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.
For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

Posted Image

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
Thanks for the detailed instruction Phillpower2.

I will complete Step 1 (burn Puppy Linux to a CD). Can I use Image Burn, which I already have installed, rather than BurnCDCC?

Then I will complete Step 2 so that the computer boots into Puppy Linux.

Do I need to complete Step 3 (Recover Data)? I don't believe so, but you tell me.

Also, how do I test the AutoPlay function of MPC now that I have Puppy Linux installed? (I guess that will be the big test!)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
You are most welcome Jackpine :)

ImgBurn is fine :thumbsup:

No data recovery required unless you want to have a try of backing up using Puppy.

I don`t use Puppy to watch DVDs etc but as far as I am aware Gxine DVD Movie Player is bundled with Puppy from release version 4.2.1 onwards.

Advertisements

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

I don`t use Puppy to watch DVDs etc but as far as I am aware Gxine DVD Movie Player is bundled with Puppy from release version 4.2.1 onwards.

• After I boot with the Puppy CD in one of my two optical drives, do I insert a DVD into the other one and see what happens?
  • Do I need to have set any Autoplay preferences in the drives before attempting Step 1? (Such as "Ask me what I want to do" or "Play with MPC"? I assume that "Play with Gxine" will not be an option since Windows doesn't know that it is there.)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
A1: Yes.
A2: Windows and MPC will not be active as you will be booting into the Linux OS, a post relating to how to play a DVD with Gxine here

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
Hi Phillpower2, I haven't booted into Puppy Linux yet because I was busy this weekend and also tried to do my income tax return online. I mention this because of the following: I obtained a CD from a Tax firm that allows each user to file one return for free. (This is from a large, reputable firm called H&R Block.) The instructions are "Insert the disc into the CD-ROM drive. The program will open automatically."

Well, with my machine in its present state, the only thing that opened was a window showing an Autorun file, an icon file, and an icon of the executable file - which didn't run. The Autorun file is a Notepad and it reads:

[autorun]
open=HRB-Tax-Software-Setup-2013.1.0.exe
icon=hrb.ico

The only way to get the program to open was to double click the executable file. It then worked OK.

Also, with the CD still in the drive, I went to Windows Explore and right-clicked the drive. I was expecting to see an Autoplay item in the list that appears, but it wasn't there.

Is the above information of any use?

(I still intend this week to boot into Puppy and try playing a retail DVD.)

Edited by Jackpine, 23 March 2014 - 05:50 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts

A quick check for you to do, if you still have Spybot Search & Destroy installed uninstall it, a thread here were uninstalling SS&D resolved the lack of auto play function, see the reply of thread starter SB999

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Spybot is still installed on my computer.  I will uninstall it tonight.

I wonder how something that has been installed on my computer for 6 years can suddenly be responsible for discs not auto playing?  But, as you pointed out in an earlier post, leave no stone unturned.