Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replaced a bad PSU and getting a power up cycle

Best Answer geno368 , 24 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the help. I removed and cleaned the heat sink and cleaned the cpu and rinstalled new artic silver 5. still would not boot. I removed the new psu (a cheap one) and installed a known go... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
I am working on an older Gateway running XP professional which would not boot. I tested the PSU and determined that it was bad (totally non responsive) PSU tester agreed. I installed another new PSU and now it will start a power up and then goes dead. The old one was in a power up/down cycle. I visually inspected the MB and found 2 bulging capacitors. I ordered and installed the new MB and have the same issue. I have disconnected the HD, dvd drive and only installed 1 gb ram..still same results. The processor had plenty of thermal compound and I am confident that the memory stik is good. I think maybe that the system took a voltage surge because of the symptoms. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello geno368

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the MB for us, including any revision No such as rev 1.0 etc.

The processor had plenty of thermal compound

Was the old compound cleaned off properly and only the correct amount of fresh thermal material applied.

RE your last topic, can I ask that you conclude your topic/s when assistance is no longer required, the outcome be it good or bad may help others that read your topic looking for guidance themselves, thank you.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Thanks for the reply...It is an ECS Q35T-GB ver 1.1
I did not clean off the old thermal as I usually do in my haste to fix. I looked good but I can re-do if I haven't hurt anything

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
If a heatsink and cooling fan are never removed from the top of a CPU the thermal compound more often than not will last until the CPU expires, if however the HS and cooling fan are removed it is vital that the thermal compound be cleaned off correctly and only the correct amount of a suitable compound freshly applied, the former because the compound looses it cooling ability by hardening and being affected by contaminants such as dust etc and the latter because if not enough thermal compound is applied the CPU will overheat and too much being applied can lead to short circuits within the MB and most often the pins on the CPU, an example guide to help with this is available here

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
✓  Best Answer
Thanks for the help. I removed and cleaned the heat sink and cleaned the cpu and rinstalled new artic silver 5. still would not boot. I removed the new psu (a cheap one) and installed a known good one...booted!!! new psu doa

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
A pain in the proverbial backside for you but at least you have now resolved the issue and thank you for letting us know :thumbsup: