Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STOP: c0000221 Bad Image Checksum

• Please log in to reply

skhill62

skhill62

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Good Day-

I have an older XP machine, that although it is gray in the beard, I don't want to lose.

Recently, when a PDF file stopped working, and I hard to do a hard reboot, it never came back.

The error along with the blue screen of death is in the subject line.

I do have files/folders on the machine that I'd prefer not to lose, but I backed up a few months ago, so if I lose, and keep the machine that would be option 2.

I am not a computer wiz, but am willing to experiment.

I do not have the XP disc, nor did I back up when I initially purchased the device.

What is the approach without the disc? Does it make sense to try and find another one to reload the software?
Thanks all!

Now what?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: skhill62

Recently, when a PDF file stopped working, and I hard to do a hard reboot, it never came back.

What never came back, do you mean that the computer will not boot up since the above happened.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

skhill62

skhill62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Wow, thanks for the quick response.
Yes, that is correct. I was working on the Desktop an old Dell Dimension 300, and had a PDF file open.
That file seized up, and I don't even think control/alt/delete worked so I had to turn the power off.
Since then, I have not been able to get the computer to log me back in.
In other words, i do get the XP Screen, and then it goes black, and then in about 5-8 minutes I get the blue screen, with STOP: c0000221 Bad Image Checksum in white letters at the top of the screen.
That is as far as I can get.
Thanks for reading,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello skhill62

I`m having trouble finding anything for a Dell Dimension 300, is it possible that it is a 3000 model.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode by continually tapping the F8 key when you restart the computer.

You are welcome btw :)

skhill62

skhill62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
correct. 3000. sorry.
I can get to start up page via F8.
Now what? thanks,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
As you can boot into safe mode a driver issue is a possible cause but a bad/dead CMOS battery can result in the Bad Image Checksum message so check that the time and date on RTC on the taskbar are correct.

1: See if you can create a Dell XP back up CD, details here

2: Back up all important data off the HDD.

Going offline shortly as it is getting late here in the UK and I have an early start tomorrow

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Might be a corrupted file system so running chkdsk from a boot CD may fix it.

Instructions here: CHKDSK - How to run from the Recovery Console

Edited to change link.

skhill62

skhill62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok, great. I printed both, but it looks like the second link is the one that will work, considering I have no access to the start up menu on the machine.
Currently not at that personal machine, but will try to do it tonight.
Stand by for the latest updates, and I do really appreciate your help.

skhill62

skhill62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok, looks like I need to burn to a disk, which might be tough on my work machine, and I don't have a cd burner on my other home machine.
Let me try to figure out what to do here.

skhill62

skhill62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
burned the disc but getting the error that it cannot read that drive.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
From your reply #5

I can get to start up page via F8.

From my reply #6

As you can boot into safe mode a driver issue is a possible cause but a bad/dead CMOS battery can result in the Bad Image Checksum message so check that the time and date on RTC on the taskbar are correct.

Were you able to boot into Safe Mode and check the time and date on the task bar and if so were the time and date correct.

If you have no means of backing up the important data from the HDD I suggest that you hold off with this until you do, CHKDSK asides please be aware that if the HDD is flaky and you start running diagnostic tests on it the drive may fail on you,

skhill62

skhill62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok, not sure if this computer is worth it.
No idea how to check date and time from safe mode.
Was not given that option.
Now i've made another disc, but all i now get is the blinking cursor in the top left corner of the screen, so turning the machine off again.

skhill62

skhill62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
diskette drive 0 seek failure.

Is it time to just give up?

skhill62

skhill62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
System Date says November 9, 2004. When I escape the set up page, and get an F1 option for retry boot, i can only get back to F2.
Both me and the computer are gong to sleep.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

System Date says November 9, 2004. When I escape the set up page, and get an F1 option for retry boot, i can only get back to F2.
Both me and the computer are gong to sleep.

This suggests that either the CMOS battery has expired and needs replacing or in a worse case scenario the BIOS chip is hosed.
The CMOS battery being dead is the most likely candidate as they do not last forever, typically 6/7 and possibly up to 10 years, this is dependant on how old the battery was already when it was first inserted into the MB.

The first thing that I suggest that you do is restart the computer, disable the floppy disk device in the BIOS, also in the BIOS set the correct time and date, save and exit and see if the computer will boot into XP, canned details below for convenience;

To change the Boot Sequence in the BIOS/disable the floppy disk in this instance.
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the appropriate button that allows you to access the BIOS (Esc - Del – F2 etc)
This will enter you into the BIOS/CMOS
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to DVD/ CD drive
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit.
Click Y and the system will now hopefully reboot into XP with the new settings.

While you are in the BIOS you will also need to reset the time and date and again save the new settings (F10) and then Y to accept the changes.

If you are able to boot normally into XP, use the computer as you normally would but when you are finished do not shut down the computer but restart it to see if 1: you are able to boot straight into XP and 2: to check that the time and date settings are still correct, if all is good fully shut down the computer, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket and then press the power on button for a couple of seconds to dispel any residual charge that has remained within the system.

The acid test will come the next time that you power up the computer, if the CMOS battery has expired then the previous settings that you saved will have been lost and the date reverted back to November 9, 2004 which is the date that the BIOS was first activated on the MB.

To replace the CMOS battery please refer to the attachment below.

Tip;

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page) thank you for understanding.