Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need advice on a new system.

• Please log in to reply

KleanZlate

KleanZlate

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello. I some advice or maybe some perspective would be more accurate.

Here's the deal...

I have a very old system. It's a HP workstation xw8200. It'll be 10 years old this summer. When I purchased it was amazingly powerful with these thunder specs:

Processors: 2 x Intel Xeon 3.40 GHz (64bit)
RAM: 4GB originally. 10GB today (DDR2!!)
Current GPU: Nvidia GTX660 Ti 2GB
Corrent OS: Windows 8 Pro 64bit.

Here's where I need some perspective. I want to buy a new system but I have a limited budget. Because my system used to be quite powerful I feel like a have to buy a very powerful system today to replace my beloved workstation.

So how would a system with an i3 processor, 6 to 8 GB of RAM (DDR3) stack up against my old system, for example?
I'll be using my current GPU for now.

Basically this is a mindset problem. Could a new low budget system blow my old system out of the water?

Please help :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
:welcome: KleanZlate

An i3 processor is entry level so forget that.
8GB of DDR3 Ram would depend on the speed and the Cas Latency.

If you tell us what the main use of the computer will be, your maximum budget and in which country you will making the purchase/s we will see what parts we can put together for you.

You mention having a limited budget so I need to ask what type of Windows 8 disk it is that you have, if it is the OEM type and it is already installed on the xw8200 you will need to purchase a new product key.

KleanZlate

KleanZlate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

:welcome: KleanZlate

An i3 processor is entry level so forget that.
8GB of DDR3 Ram would depend on the speed and the Cas Latency.

If you tell us what the main use of the computer will be, your maximum budget and in which country you will making the purchase/s we will see what parts we can put together for you.

You mention having a limited budget so I need to ask what type of Windows 8 disk it is that you have, if it is the OEM type and it is already installed on the xw8200 you will need to purchase a new product key.

Thank you for the reply.

I suppose the main use will be for gaming. My budget is about $800. I suppose I could stretch to $1000. I live in Iceland. My OS is the OEM type so I guess I'll need to purchase a new product key...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

A list of parts in $$$ see what you think does Amazon ship to Iceland so that we can shop around Europe for parts.

KleanZlate

KleanZlate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

You are welcome :thumbsup:

A list of parts in $$$ see what you think does Amazon ship to Iceland so that we can shop around Europe for parts.

Thanks again! One question about this setup. Is it fit for future upgrades? Could I add another GPU through SLI for example? Is there space for another SATA3 HD?

Amazon ships to Iceland. But what are we talking about here? If I decide to go with this setup, what happens next?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
The list of parts was only an example of what is available and can be tweaked to suit.

You have now mentioned Sli so we can change the MB, changed to Crossfire and Sli capable MB, amended list
The case and MB will both accept more than 3 HDDs.
Case has Internal 3.5" Drive Bays X 6
MB has 6 x SATA 6Gb/s ports

Amazon ships to Iceland. But what are we talking about here? If I decide to go with this setup, what happens next?

You gave us your budget in $ so I used American suppliers to suit the currency, PCPartpickers provides European prices for France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK so you can pick your parts from the country that best suits, I purcheased the same case that is included in the example parts list that I provided for you, my case was shipped from Germany by Amazon/DHL and was delivered before other parts that I was waiting on from UK suppliers.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Gday.

Could I add another GPU through SLI for example?

Before venturing down multiple video card set ups, I advice a little research be done, I just don't think it is worth the hassle.
Here is one article to get you going, > http://compreviews.about.com/od/video/a/DualVideo.htm

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
I concur ;)
One good video card produces less heat, requires less power and costs less than two cards of a lower/same or higher spec.

KleanZlate

KleanZlate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the tip. I would rather like to have a more powerful single card but I'm just looking at what I can do within my budget. My idea was to buy another GTX660 but I suppose it might be better to wait and save up for a better card.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
GTX 760 (2GB) with the appropriate supporting PSU etc

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Yes the 760 (about $340) is a performance increase but is the same tier as the 660ti, upgrading you should try to go up a couple of notches i.e. GTX 780, *included in the parts list, defer buying for six months and I think the price will have come down a lot) Also upped the CPU, cost is minor but would ensure it is not going to bottlenecking a future GPU upgrade.

> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30f5r