Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop drive format problem

• Please log in to reply

globaljoe

globaljoe

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hello, I have taken out a dead hard drive from a Samsung notebook, I bought a replacement and wanted to initialize and format the new drive while connected to a desktop via usb, I can see the new hard drive in Computer Management listed as disk 5 unallocated, and not initialized, with a black bar at the top. I want to Initialize the drive and format it before putting it back in the laptop and loading an operating system. I have tried right clicking on the black bar to get an options list but the new partition option is grayed out. Can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong!.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

May I ask why do you want to Initialize the drive and format it?

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hello, well, I'm assuming that the laptop drive will need formatting before it can hold any data, it is a replacement drive for the original dead one. This is not a job I have ever had to do before so I will appreciate any assistance, I'm all ears, (or in this case, eyes).

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hello, well, I'm assuming that the laptop drive will need formatting before it can hold any data, it is a replacement drive for the original dead one. This is not a job I have ever had to do before so I will appreciate any assistance, I'm all ears, (or in this case, eyes).

Hi,

You will need to reinstall the Operating System (Windows I suppose?) you only need to mount the new Hard Disk on the laptop and boot the computer with the OS installation disk on the DVD drive. The OS installer will let you create the needed partitions and format them.

For example in Windows 7 you only need to select the disk, press Next and the installer will create two partitions, format them and start installing Windows.

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thanks for the advice sleepy dude, I'll get onto that first thing in the morning, however I don't have an o/system disk, only a recovery disk for the original installation so that won't be any good, I'm going to try downloading a new windows 7 installation using the product key and then seek out a driver pack on the net, I'll report back if I have any problems.
Thanks again.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Thanks for the advice sleepy dude, I'll get onto that first thing in the morning, however I don't have an o/system disk, only a recovery disk for the original installation so that won't be any good, I'm going to try downloading a new windows 7 installation using the product key and then seek out a driver pack on the net, I'll report back if I have any problems.
Thanks again.

The Recovery disk will work just fine and will save you some time looking for drivers.

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Well thanks for that, I wasn't aware that the recovery disk would be any good with a totally different drive. Thanks again!.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Well thanks for that, I wasn't aware that the recovery disk would be any good with a totally different drive. Thanks again!.

Yes the recovery disk will save you money and time when the Hard Drive go bad.

Some manufactures provide the recovery disks with the machine but others sell them to the users that forget to create the disks.

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
One more problem remains, I re-installed Win 7 using the recovery disk, everything went fine, but it seems like the recovery disc did not have the driver files, or not all of them, the screen looks like it's in safe mode and I can't get it to connect to the Internet. I do have another computer I can download from, but it's a matter of what I need and where to find them. I'll continue searching.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

One more problem remains, I re-installed Win 7 using the recovery disk, everything went fine, but it seems like the recovery disc did not have the driver files, or not all of them, the screen looks like it's in safe mode and I can't get it to connect to the Internet. I do have another computer I can download from, but it's a matter of what I need and where to find them. I'll continue searching.

Hi,

It depends on the manufacture some provide a recovery disk that is actually a Windows install disk without any drivers.

You should download the drivers from the Samsung website if you need help on that post the exact model of the laptop.

Advertisements

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hello again Sleepy dude, I followed your link to the Samsung driver site, as well as checking elsewhere but I cannot find the required driver packs for the Samsung Model NP300E7A-A05UK. I'll carry on looking!, I've had this trouble in the past, I'm beginning to think that finding driver packs is a bit of a black art!.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hello again Sleepy dude, I followed your link to the Samsung driver site, as well as checking elsewhere but I cannot find the required driver packs for the Samsung Model NP300E7A-A05UK. I'll carry on looking!, I've had this trouble in the past, I'm beginning to think that finding driver packs is a bit of a black art!.

Hi,

It seems that model is specific for the UK! The drivers are here, start by installing the Chipset driver then you can install all the others needed.

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hello, only one problem now remains, device manager displays a yellow exclamation mark on network controller, I can connect to the Internet via RJ45 cable, but not via wireless, I just get the message 'windows installer could not find driver software for your device, drivers are not installed code 28. Manufacturer unknown.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hello, only one problem now remains, device manager displays a yellow exclamation mark on network controller, I can connect to the Internet via RJ45 cable, but not via wireless, I just get the message 'windows installer could not find driver software for your device, drivers are not installed code 28. Manufacturer unknown.

Get me the Hardware ID of the device...
  • Open Device Manager click Start then on the Search box type devmgmt.msc and press Enter
  • the Device Manager window will open
  • right click the device with the yellow exclamation mark
  • click Properties > Tab Details > On the Property box select Hardware Ids
  • Copy & Paste the values on the box to your Reply

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0896&SUBSYS_50058086&REV_34
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0896&SUBSYS_50058086
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0896&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0896&CC_0280

I did notice after clicking on the driver tab and then on driver details, I get the message "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device".