Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE cannot display the webpage.

• Please log in to reply

chaknik

chaknik

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
This has been a long ongoing problem. I'm running Windows XP,SP3. My internet access is an AT&T 313u Momentum 4G air card. It connects to the internet fine and has a good signal. On many of my attempts to access a website, I get the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I've updated firmware, reset drivers, and I've had several discussions with AT&T tech. people. They always want me to unplug the modem(air card), uninstall the modem in Device Manager, then reboot my computer and plug the modem back in. This may or may not help, sometimes it seems to, but just as likely it doesn't. If it seems to help, it's not very long(minutes), until the webpages are timing out again. I'm sure tower congestion isn't the issue, I'm up at 1 or 2 am. sometimes and still have the same problem. I've run ipconfig/all, but the DHCP server and DNS servers addresses can't be pinged. I don't know how any names are being resolved to an IP address, and usually they don't. If any of this makes sense and someone wants to help, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks in advance, Roy S.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Show us the output of ipconfig /all please.

Click on Start then Run or press Window key (next to left Ctrl key) +R and paste the following into the Run box, exactly as shown, including double quotes:

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt"

and press ENTER.

A file will open in Notepad. Please copy and paste the contents here. Close the Notepad window and the file will be deleted and the Command Prompt window will also close.

If you don't have a Run selection off the Start menu, see here: Enable Run Command on Windows 7 or Vista Start Menu, or just press Windows Key (next to the left Ctrl key) + R.

chaknik

chaknik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
This will be the forth time I've tried this. My internet connection keeps timing out. Maybe I'll get it right in next post.

Attached Files

Edited by chaknik, 24 February 2014 - 06:33 PM.

chaknik

chaknik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : FREDA

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Sierra Wireless WWAN Network Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-A0-D5-FF-FF-AE

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.195.252.122

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.195.252.122

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.195.252.253

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.26.38.1

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 24, 2014 5:08:41 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:08:41 PM

Pinging yahoo.com [98.139.183.24] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 98.139.183.24: bytes=32 time=280ms TTL=46

Reply from 98.139.183.24: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=46

Reply from 98.139.183.24: bytes=32 time=67ms TTL=46

Reply from 98.139.183.24: bytes=32 time=68ms TTL=46

Ping statistics for 98.139.183.24:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 66ms, Maximum = 280ms, Average = 120ms

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Never seen ipconfig output from a computer connected via 4G cell network. Numbers are strange, even the DNS, but they work as seen by the ping Google response.

I'd say this is probably a problem with your Momentum 4G air card. Any way you can connect via normal wireless or wired Ethernet to do some testing?

I this a laptop or Desktop? If laptop, take it to a library or coffee shop to test?????

If Desktop, take to a friends house to test?

chaknik

chaknik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the input. The DHCP and DNS is confusing to me also, but somehow it works(part of the time). This is a desktop and no one I know has wired ethernet. We live in a very rural area. Thanks again and if you have any more thoughts about this, please throw them at me.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can you borrow a friends 4G card to try?

Trying to narrow down the cause of the problem and that would help a lot. It will tell you if your 4G card is the problem or not.

chaknik

chaknik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
My brother has the same air card, I'll borrow his and give it a run around the block. I'll post back with results.

chaknik

chaknik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I found a Microsoft 'FixIt50199' that changes some TCPIP paramaters. I downloaded the FixIt and ran it, then it had me to reboot my computer. After that, I was able to browse the internet normally. It looks like AT&T's software for the air card puts some funky values in that cause the problem. I've got the most up to date version of their Communication Manager and firmware in the air card. I guess AT&T has dropped the ball again. As long as the FixIt works, I'll be fine. Thanks for your help and the FixIt may benefit someone else. I consider this thread closed.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Good going. What pointed you to that Fixit?

chaknik

chaknik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I was able to do some searching about those DHCP and DNS addresses, how to flush the DNS resolver cache and re-register and I came across a link to Microsoft FixIts. One of them, the 50199, was suppose to set TCPIP parameters, so I gave it a try. The Microsoft website listed all sorts of technical stuff that the FixIt changes, but it's too much for me to comprehend. I just run the FixIt and browse away. Unrelated to that issue, I have a problem with my home network setup. Now I'll have to change gears in my head to look at this one.