Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

massive internet slowdown

• Please log in to reply

kayklown

kayklown

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
When ever the ipod and ipad are on, it slows down the internet on every other computer on the network so slow that you can't even watch a youtube video, I've got 3 computers on the wireless, and the ipod and ipad. I know it's these becasue as soon as there turned off, it goes back to normal. Now as much as i've been able to find while searching myself, is that it might be something to do with the ips conflicting, but have no idea what to do about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by kayklown, 24 February 2014 - 04:20 PM.

Advertisements

Down_with_malware

Down_with_malware

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I just recently got interested in networking so my knowledge is limited at the moment.

Do you know the kind of internet speed you are getting from your provider? Are you in a town or in a rural area? If you can answer these questions it would be a great help.

kayklown

kayklown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've got about 10mb download and 2 up without the ipad/ipod on. I'm also in a city.

Down_with_malware

Down_with_malware

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

I've got about 10mb download and 2 up without the ipad/ipod on. I'm also in a city.

Alright thanks! Another thing I would like to ask is; are you using a hub or switch for your router? (It should say on the top of the router if it is a hub) What are your specs for your router? How far away exactly are your wireless computers from the router? Have you had issues like this before in the past with your router? Did you switch internet service providers recently?

Edited by Down_with_malware, 26 February 2014 - 05:14 PM.

kayklown

kayklown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Alright thanks! Another thing I would like to ask is; are you using a hub or switch for your router? (It should say on the top of the router if it is a hub) What are your specs for your router? How far away exactly are your wireless computers from the router? Have you had issues like this before in the past with your router? Did you switch internet service providers recently?

It's a connection hub, not sure on it's spec this is it if it helps at all HUB. I've never had any problems like this, but then again I've never owned apple products until now.It's only started since I've gotten the ipod and ipad, and when they're turned on. As of how far each computer is, doesn't seem to matter much, the main computer is just a room away, were as the other 2 are all the way downstairs, all experience the same issue when the ipad/ipod are turned on.

Edited by kayklown, 26 February 2014 - 05:28 PM.

Down_with_malware

Down_with_malware

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Thanks for the further information! Please do yourself a favor and buy a switch router. Hub's are obsolete, utter garbage technology. Go to your local Radio shack and spend some money on a decent wireless router. :happy:

I am telling you right now Hubs cause a lot of major problems for modern networking. (Yes Hubs aren't modern in any sense of the word.) If the hub doesn't belong to you, try to convince the people you are with to get rid of that HUB ASAP.

Edited by Down_with_malware, 26 February 2014 - 05:50 PM.

kayklown

kayklown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thanks for the further information! Please do yourself a favor and buy a switch router. Hub's are obsolete, utter garbage technology. Go to your local Radio shack and spend some money on a decent wireless router. :happy:

I am telling you right now Hubs cause a lot of major problems for modern networking. (Yes Hubs aren't modern in any sense of the word.) If the hub doesn't belong to you, try to convince the people you are with to get rid of that HUB ASAP.

I don't understand how this would cause it tho, I've had more then 4 computers on the connection before without problem, how could 2 devices all of a sudden cause it?

Down_with_malware

Down_with_malware

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

I don't understand how this would cause it tho, I've had more then 4 computers on the connection before without problem, how could 2 devices all of a sudden cause it?

Hubs aren't smart at all. When your PC gets information from the internet packets are sent. On a HUB those packets are sent to every PC on the network and not just your own. When too many devices are requesting packets on a HUB it causes something called a "Packet storm.". Packets get send to the wrong places, and lots of things get messed up. With a modern router it doesn't have this problem. It learns where all the devices are and the packets are sent to the right PC every time.

Even if that HUB might not be the one causing the problems, it sure isn't helping that is for sure. I recommend you get a brand new router and see if your problem stops. From what I can see the HUB is more then likely the problem.

kayklown

kayklown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hubs aren't smart at all. When your PC gets information from the internet packets are sent. On a HUB those packets are sent to every PC on the network and not just your own. When too many devices are requesting packets on a HUB it causes something called a "Packet storm.". Packets get send to the wrong places, and lots of things get messed up. With a modern router it doesn't have this problem. It learns where all the devices are and the packets are sent to the right PC every time.

Even if that HUB might not be the one causing the problems, it sure isn't helping that is for sure. I recommend you get a brand new router and see if your problem stops. From what I can see the HUB is more then likely the problem.

I don't think this is an option for me, it is provider by my provider, I don't actually own it.

Down_with_malware

Down_with_malware

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

I don't think this is an option for me, it is provider by my provider, I don't actually own it.

Ok, so this only happens when you turn on the Ipod and Ipad are on right? So did you try to disconenct the Ipod/Ipad from the internet to see if that helps? What happens if you disconnect the internet on one computer while the Ipod/Ipad are on?

kayklown

kayklown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Ok, so this only happens when you turn on the Ipod and Ipad are on right? So did you try to disconenct the Ipod/Ipad from the internet to see if that helps? What happens if you disconnect the internet on one computer while the Ipod/Ipad are on?

Yes, when they are turned off, it goes back to normal. And even while another computer is off, it still slows it down with the ipad/ipod on. And again while I was searching around for a solution before coming here, the most I could find is that it could be some kind if IP confliction, but don't know how to check if that is the case and how to fix it if so.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
2 thoughts:

1) The ipod and ipad may be downloading updates whenever connected? (hence using up bandwidth) (i.e. leave them connected long enough, the updates will finish, and all will return to normal)
2) For an IP conflict, usually you will receive an error message telling you so. Can you check and list down the IP addresses of each device?