Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not boot

• Please log in to reply

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
I have a Gateway M675 from 2004 with Windows XP. Today I used Auslogics Defrag to Defrag, Optimize and then had it turn off the computer. When I went to turn it on it would not boot at all. Nothing.

Tried this a couple of times, turned it over, took out the hard drive, used compressed air on contacts and reinserted, still nothing. Waited a couple of minutes, pushed the button again and then all of a sudden it started? Anyone know what this could be. Afraid it could happen again. Have backed up documents, desktop and favorites. Could not find anything in Windows Log or Event Viewer.

Not sure how to take an image.

Any idea what could have happened?

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hello joseph456

When I went to turn it on it would not boot at all. Nothing.

Just to clarify, do you mean that there was no sign of life at all from the notebook as in no power lights on etc.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Thanks for responding.

Actually the blue button to start it went on, a couple of lights (Battery Charge Light and Power Light) on the bottom but not the hard drive light. The only thing different I did was accidentally while it was on I used the safety remove button to remove a USB drive but instead told it to remove the Floppy A drive. Wondering if it was trying to access that bay the couple of times I tried to start it. Working fine now, checked the hard drive with "Speccy" and it says it was good. Just afraid to turn it off and restart.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
All that I can suggest you do is ensure that Windows is kept up to date and that you keep a check on how the HDD performs both for efficiency and any unusual noises, refrain from defragging the HDD too often as it stresses the drive and if done too often it can actually fragment the data on the HDD.

You are welcome btw :)

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Thanks.

Any idea what could have happened?

Would you be afraid to restart and should I and how (with what program) can I image the drive?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
You are welcome :)

Hard to say for sure what could have caused it but the HDD activity LED not blinking points towards the HDD, a bad connection or sticking mechanism, that is why I have suggested keeping a check on any odd noises coming from the HDD, a link to warning sounds here

To create an image of the HDD I recommend Macrium Reflect Free