Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC starts up by its own (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

lostone

lostone

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I have this odd issue where my PC starts up on its own, it stopped doing it for a good few days. There was a virus on my pc (Thanks Gringo) but that's now gone. WOL Is turned off.

It used to do it frequent, but since the virus removal it only done it once. What can i do to stop this issue?

Edited by lostone, 24 February 2014 - 09:04 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello lostone

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Hello sorry for the late reply. The issues seems to have stopped, I will get back too you if the issue comes back.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No worries lostone and thank you for your update  :thumbsup:

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

No worries lostone and thank you for your update  :thumbsup:

Hello it still starts up when turned off, Specs are: 

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-3770 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache

Motherboard ASUS® P8Z77-V: PCI-E 3.0 READY, WIFI, SLI, CROSSFIREX

Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (4 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 690 DUAL GPU - 3 x DVI-I, 1 x mDP

1st Hard Disk 120GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

2nd Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

Power Supply CORSAIR 1050W PRO SERIES™ HX1050-80 PLUS® GOLD MODULAR 

Processor Cooling Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler

Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 5.1 PCI-E Soundcard 

Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello again lostone,

It is almost 7 months since you post that the issue had stopped, can I ask when it first reoccurred and had you made any hardware or software changes just previous to it happening again

It is getting late here in the UK so I will only be online for another 30 minutes or so but will check back early on in the morning, can you download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will give us an insight into what services are running or stopped + further hardware information.

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Hello again lostone,

It is almost 7 months since you post that the issue had stopped, can I ask when it first reoccurred and had you made any hardware or software changes just previous to it happening again

It is getting late here in the UK so I will only be online for another 30 minutes or so but will check back early on in the morning, can you download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will give us an insight into what services are running or stopped + further hardware information.

I don't remember what changes I made,If any were made it would have been the start of this year and my memory is not great. Nothing major though.  

Is this what you wanted 

http://speccy.pirifo...pYFv0LAJ6TOQJKf

Edited by lostone, 08 October 2014 - 03:52 PM.

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Pretty sure It started after the virus infected my Desktop

Sorry i'm from the UK too, bit tired, The issue never went away completely . It just happened less frequently 

Edited by lostone, 08 October 2014 - 04:07 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the Speccy url which shows nothing major.

Can I as when you last checked for Windows updates

Couple of settings/software checks for you to do before we look at hardware;

Do the following while we are troubleshooting please;

Your Power Profile
Active power scheme: Stijn setup Hibernation: Enabled - disable this.
Turn Off Monitor after: (On AC Power): - change this to never.
Turn Off Hard Disk after: (On AC Power): Never - this is ok.
Suspend after: (On AC Power): Never - this is also ok.
Screen saver: Enabled - disable the screensaver.
Uptime

• To prevent a device from waking your computer
    1. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager.‌ 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. In the list of hardware categories, find the device that you want to prevent from waking your computer, and then double-click the device name.

3. Click the Power Management tab and then clear the Allow this device to wake the computer check box.

4. Click OK.

• A program or scheduled task might be waking your computer. By default, Power Option settings do not allow scheduled tasks to wake the computer from sleep or hibernate. However, some programs might awaken the computer if these settings have been changed.

To prevent programs from waking your computer
    1. Open Power Options by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.

2. On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings for the plan that you want to change.

3. On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.

4. On the Advanced settings tab, expand Sleep, expand Allow wake timers, choose Disable for both when your computer is running on battery and when it's plugged in, and then click OK.

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Done the "To prevent a device from waking your computer" part for the mouse and the keyboard, Allow this device to wake the computer is unchecked.

Allow wake timers is disabled.

I cant find the "your power profile" part, Is it: control panel>All control panel items>Change plan settings>Change advanced settings. I don't see the options 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Sorry crossed wires the "your power profile" was from Speccy  :thumbsup:

To turn a screen saver on or off

1. Open Screen Saver Settings by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818 and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type screen saver, and then click Turn screen saver on or off.

2. Do one of the following:

• To turn off a screen saver, in the Screen saver list, click (None), and then click OK.

For power options see here

As an asides Iostone, when your computer is not in use it should be turned off and disconnected from the wall socket, this unless you have a good quality surge protector or UPS with surge protector, the latter is mainly to protect the computer from power loss in the event of a power cut and regardless both should be turned off when the computer is not in use.

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Ok thank you phill I will look into later, Will get back to you when it done.

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Ok thank you phill I will look into later, Will get back to you when it done.

Sorry crossed wires the "your power profile" was from Speccy  :thumbsup:

To turn a screen saver on or off

1. Open Screen Saver Settings by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818 and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type screen saver, and then click Turn screen saver on or off.

2. Do one of the following:

• To turn off a screen saver, in the Screen saver list, click (None), and then click OK.

For power options see here

As an asides Iostone, when your computer is not in use it should be turned off and disconnected from the wall socket, this unless you have a good quality surge protector or UPS with surge protector, the latter is mainly to protect the computer from power loss in the event of a power cut and regardless both should be turned off when the computer is not in use.

Ok I done that What would you like me to do now?

Regards 

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Just to add to Phill's point about turning off the power when the computer is not in use, during sleep, when out for any length of time etc, does help prevent damage, a local lightning storm for example, however it also can over time reduce your electricity bills and quite significantly too.

Nev.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Sorry for the delayed reply  :(

How has it been since the changes were made, keeping in mind that the computer would need to be left in stand-by but only for testing purposes.

Can I as when you last checked for Windows updates

Thanks for the additional input Nev  :thumbsup: