Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Too many Users

• Please log in to reply

ding dong

ding dong

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I have too many users and adminstrators on my personal pc - dont know how they got there.

I know I can remove them by deleting them but how do I know which one is me?

See pic:

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture users.PNG

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

From the look of it your user account must be anyti_000 because all the others are used by the system and it's better not to mess with them.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Press Windows key + R.
Type cmd and press Enter.
The prompt will be

C:\Users\xxxxxxxxd

The xxxxxxxx is your userid.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I want to remov ethe others but cos I keep losing stuff and they have several desktops of their own - annoying...

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

I want to remov ethe others but cos I keep losing stuff and they have several desktops of their own - annoying...

If you remove them you will break several things on Windows and loose stuff, those accounts are needed so windows can work properly!

The only extra account you have there is UpdatusUser and this one was created by the Nvidia driver updater needed for your graphic card, it's not mandatory to exist but it also doesn't do any harm.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
well, there are other accounts there that are duplicate and thats where my stuff gores missing - the pc gets confused sometimes and loses stuff deep in these files....

Whats the default one - why cant i just get rid of that?

Edited by ding dong, 26 February 2014 - 05:06 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

well, there are other accounts there that are duplicate and thats where my stuff gores missing - the pc gets confused sometimes and loses stuff deep in these files....

Whats the default one - why cant i just get rid of that?

Hi,

Where are the duplicates? Can you post a image showing the problem?

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
This is the problem too many users - why do i have a default and why cant i get rid of it?

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

This is the problem too many users - why do i have a default and why cant i get rid of it?

Let's see:
- Administrator: Built-in user account exists on all Windows, on Windows Vista and higher Microsoft decided to hide this account
- Default: Default settings for things like Start Menu, Program settings etc., when a new user account is created windows will copy everything inside this folder to the profile of the new user
- Default.migrated: A backup of Default probably because you did some update to Windows 8 maybe install of Windows 8.1?
- Public: Used for common items shared between all users, for example Public Desktop a shortcut of file created here will show on the Desktop of every user. Also needed by windows to work properly.

If you have troubles with things going missing please explain exactly what happens because the problem is somewhere else.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
when i use the snipping tool and send the pic to the desktop it is not there. Then when I repeat the process because I may have not sent it to the desktop it says there is already a pic on desktop do I want to replace it?

So the pics go somewhere to another desktop.

I did delete the updatuser account and so far its working again but that may be until next time.

I have had other items go missing as well.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No, they go to your Desktop, you are just not seeing it, otherwise you would not be getting the message about it already being there.

If you right click on the Desktop and select Sort By Name you should see it.

Is your Desktop larger than the physical screen perhaps (resolution not set right)?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

Let's do some checks.

» Minitoolbox log
Download MiniToolBox and save the file to the Desktop.
Close the browser and run the tool, check the following options:
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices (Only Problems)
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size
Click on Go.

Post the resulting log in your next reply.

» Run a Disk Check
  • open the Command Prompt as Administrator (Tutorial)
  • type the command:
    chkdsk /f /x C:
    Note: When it ask if you want to checked the volume next time the system restarts answer Yes
  • restart the computer

Next,
  • download ListChkdskResult
  • execute the file and accept all the windows prompts to authorize the program to run
  • Notepad will open with a report showing the chkdsk result
  • copy & paste the log to your reply