Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfering data from IDE hardrive to laptop

• Please log in to reply

camillarj

camillarj

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

I bought a USB to IDE/SATA Combo Kit in order to obtain some files off my old computer. I have plugged everything in and I can hear the hard drive whirring. My laptop has recognised it saying I have a new USB device/drive. However it isn't showing up anywhere under the 'My Computer' folder. I am pretty sure the cables are all plugged in correctly.

I have looked under Disk Management in order to try and make the disc active however it says 'not ready' when I try to do this.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Camilla

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello camillarj

Do you have a link to the USB to IDE/SATA Combo Kit that you have purchased.
What is the brand and model name or number of the HDD that you are attempting to access.
Have you tried restarting the notebook while the adapter and the HDD are still connected.
Was the HDD that you are attempting to retrieve data from previously working without any issues when in the original computer.

My laptop has recognised it saying I have a new USB device/drive.

This only means that the USB adapter is detected and not the HDD that is connected to the said adapter.

camillarj

camillarj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

This is the link to the kit I purchased: http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Model number of HDD is WD600BB-75CAA0. Brand is Western Digital.

No haven't tried restarting while they are still connected. Will give that a go now!

The old desktop the hard drive came from did stop working but as far as I'm aware this had nothing to do with the hard drive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello

The reviews for the adapter are less than flattering so don`t be surprised if it is not working.

The WD HDD if I have the correct specs has a 60GB storage capacity, if the correct model can you tell us how much free storage space was/is on the drive, 60GB will fill up in no time and if it is full it will cause problems with data corruption and eventual mechanical failure.

The old desktop the hard drive came from did stop working but as far as I'm aware this had nothing to do with the hard drive.

Can you describe what happened as it may provide clues as to whether or not the WD HDD was the cause.