Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not booting after PSU upgrade

• Please log in to reply

fela98

fela98

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello

I was going to upgrade my Computer:

• Motherboard: H67MA-E45
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-2300 (with integrated graphics)
  • RAM 2x 2GB Crucial 1333mhz
  • PSU 300W IP-P300BN7-2
  • Harddrive: 1TB WD 3.5"

with a bigger case, a graphic card, some more RAM, and a better PSU (550W instead of 300W). When I installed the the components into the new case with the together with the new PSU, the fans began to spin for half a second and then stopped again. For some reason the fans only begin spinning if I disconnect the PSU first and wait some time and then reconnect it. If I connect the old PSU again the same problem occurs. I also tried moving the jumper, but had no successs with that either. I have NOT connected the new graphics card nor the new RAM as I have not recieved them yet.

really thankful for any help I get.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: fela98

Have you tried removing and reseating the Ram.
Have you checked that the case switch connections to the header on the MB are correct.
Do you have the correct amount of standoffs (8) and are they in the correct place (only where there is a screw hole)
Is the CPU fan securely connected to the header on the MB.

If all of the above checks out as being ok I would remove the MB from the new case and do a barebones set up on a large piece of cardboard, to begin with only connect the PSU, screen, keyboard/mouse, leave the HDD disconnected for now and see if you get a BIOS screen, to get the PSU to activate you will need to short out two pins on the MB header where the power on button on the case goes to, l will provide that information if and when required/if you need it but we will need to know if your MB is the B3 version or not (there are two models of the board in case you were not aware).