Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suddenly can't use internet

• Please log in to reply

thearchangelmikeyg

thearchangelmikeyg

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My computer has suddenly developed a problem connecting to the internet. It registers the connection, says it's connected for a few seconds (not long enough to load a page or anything), then loses the internet part, then loses the entire connection, then starts reconnecting, in a vicious circle. I've reset the router many times, sometimes that fixes it for about 20 minutes. The router is in my roomate's room, and I don't have constant access to it, but it's working for everyone else. I have tried restarting my computer, resetting the wireless on it, using the troubleshooter, doing a system restore, running antivirus (spybot and malewarebytes), and setting the DNS server in my settings. I am using an HP Pavilion with Windows 7. Does anyone have any ideas for something else I can try? Thank you in advance, I'm out of my depth.

Advertisements

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Hi :welcome:

What AV are you running?
Please go to Safemode with networking and check how's your connection there. Can you do it on your own? If no, please post and we will provide more detailed instructions.

Also please download MiniToolBox by Farbar and save it to your desktop.

Close any open browsers!

Run MiniToolBox by double-clicking the Posted Image icon
(Users of Windows Vista and above please right-click and choose Run as Administrator).

You will be presented with this window:

Posted Image

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

thearchangelmikeyg

thearchangelmikeyg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello,

Thank you for replying. I tried to run in safe mode, to no avail (and safe mode with networking, same thing). I ran the Toolbox, and I have attached the results to this posting (I think).

Thanks again, I hope you can figure it out.

Attached Files

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Please tell me: did Malwarebytes' found anything?

thearchangelmikeyg

thearchangelmikeyg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
No, it didn't. Spybot removed one file, but this was after the problems started (I run both fairly regularly, once a week or so).

thearchangelmikeyg

thearchangelmikeyg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Also interesting to note I can't seem to connect to public networks either. I took it to a coffee shop today and it connected to the network but not the internet.

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
I wonder if there isn't anything malicious having a party on your PC.

Do it this way:
Go to the Malware Removal Forum and follow the instrucions listed here. Post your logs and somebody from the malware staff will check your machine, and when they say that you're all clear we will dig deeper, ok?

Also provide them a link to this topic, as you've described some details here :)