Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply

hanseric

hanseric

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Just did a fresh install of Windows 7 on my Lenovo T420 notebook after replacing harddrive.

Everthing is great except Windows Explorer keeps crashing. It appears to be there and working but you can't use it.

Example: I'll want to open a program or CMD window or something and will Click Windows button at bottom left.

Then I start typing the name of the program I'm looking for and it's not there.

OR,

Less frequently Windows Explorer window or task bar will stop working and be unresponsive.

I don't think they have ever gone away, but you see them there and can't use them.

I can end the Explorer process using Task Manager and then restart it by running explorer.exe from Task Manager.

Explorer comes back up and works fine for another day or two or maybe just a few hours.

I ran "sfc /scannow" from Admin Command window and it did not find any integrity violations.

Is there anything else I can do to try and find the reason for this failure?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Are SP1 and all updates installed?

hanseric

hanseric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yes, SP 1 updates installed.

Here's my full system specs profile:

http://speccy.pirifo...maCFIF7aMfFuJkD

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Have you installed any other software?
What do you use for Anti-virus?

Maybe try this:

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Advanced startup options - XP
Advanced startup options - Vista
Advanced startup options - Windows 7

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7 and Windows 8

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab (for Windows 8, the Startup tab has a link to open Task Manager/Startup tab. Use that.), record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.