► Remove Special Tools with OTL by OldTimer
Using this tool will remove all temporary, and unnecessary files still in your computer after using the tools I asked you to run earlier.
- Double-click OTL.exe to run it. For Windows Vista and Windows 7 users, please run it as an administrator.
- As seen on the interface, click the CleanUp button.
- You will be asked to reboot after. Please allow it to do so by clicking Yes on the next prompt.
Doing this will prevent you from a possible reinfection. You see, malicious files try to save a copy of themselves in the System Volume Information storage. The latter is a protected directory; the best way to get rid of these possible copies is to do the step below. Since your system is now clean, it is essential to set a clean and working backup.
- Navigate to Start, right-click Computer and click Properties.
- On the left, click System protection.
- Click Configure... > Delete.
- Choose Continue when asked. Click Close and then OK.
- Now click Create.... Input any title and press Create.
- Once done, press Close > OK.
- System Restore will now be working again.
► Keep Your Computer Updated
Your current Windows operating system needs to install additional updates which are important, one of which is the Service Pack. The latter and other updates contain fixes and patches to prevent attackers from compromising your system. It is imperative that you keep your system up-to-date by obtaining free updates whenever they are available.
Install the latest Service Pack by going 'here'. If you already have, continually visit the official 'Microsoft Windows Update' site to keep your system up-to-date.► Update Java
One of the programs you use every day unknowingly is Java. It is necessary for a lot of applications thus you should make sure it is always up-to-date. Older versions may be prone to exploits and vulnerabilities.
- Download the latest 'Java' installation and save it to your desktop.
- You need to uninstall any previous Java installations.
- For Windows XP: Navigate to Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
- For Windows Vista: Navigate to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features or Uninstall a Program.
- For Windows 7: Navigate to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features or Uninstall a Program.
- Search the list for previous installations of Java such as all versions below:
- Java 7 Update 51
- Proceed to uninstalling the old versions and install the one you've just downloaded.
★ UpdatingEnsuring that you have one anti-virus installed in your system is a good way to prevent being infected. You must always make sure to update your anti-virus every day; anti-virus companies see to to it that the latest definition updates are distributed to be in par with the growing advancement and propagation of malware. Your anti-virus is useless if you do not update it.
★ ScanningSet a scanning routine. Ensure that you do a full scan with your anti-virus monthly. This is part of maintaining a clean system--a scanning routine proves to be effective. You can never be sure when your computer has caught an infection.
► Install Supplementary Programs
Alongside your anti-virus and firewall, various programs are can be obtained to help keep your system secure. Don't worry, they pose no conflict to your current installation. The best of all, these programs are free. The names contain the download links.
★ MVPS Hosts FileThe MVPS Hosts File replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well-known ad sites, etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer. This also helps to protect your privacy and security by blocking sites that may track your viewing habits, also known as "click-thru tracking" or data miners.
★ SpywareBlasterSpywareBlaster can help keep your system secure, without interfering with the "good side" of the web. And unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster does not have to remain running in the background. It works alongside the programs you have to help secure your system.
- Just like your regular security programs, SpywareBlaster needs to be updated every day.
- Open the program by clicking the icon.
- Click Updates > Check For Updates.
- If there happens to be an update, a Enable All Protection button will appear. Please click that button.