Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard drive Problems

• Please log in to reply

Tombstone

Tombstone

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hello!

i have just bought this no name brand USB 2.0 external caddie with a new seagate 200 gig drive. i partioned it (not in the caddie) 2 partitions, one was fat 32, the other a NTFS... i took the HDD out and placed it in the caddie, and then plugged in the power, the usb cord and tried to get it to run, it detected it, said, USB to IDE device detected... then it said USB mass storage device detected... and just kept thinking, it eventually came up with, there has been some problems while installing the defvice and the device may not work properlly... it was right...

nothing was found in device manager, not even mass storage device not working, it wasnt in disk magangment... it was no where to be found... i take it out, cahnge around the jumpers to and from slave, to cable select to master, and nothing works.. i keep it on master as i get the best results with it detecting it initiallly.

i noticed one of the times that when it does its little usb found detection noise, that it shows up in device manager, but then shortly it dissapears completely again...

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

i am running a 2.8 gig acer laptop ( same symptoms on my p4 and p3...) and all run XP service pack 2, and all have usb 2 support...

thanks,
Tom

Edited by Tombstone, 09 June 2005 - 07:42 AM.

Advertisements

Gandir

Gandir

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi

Try this, it worked for me a few times when helping friends with a similar problem:

1. Take the HD and mount it back in your computer

2. Re-format it to a single partition NTFS

3. put it back in the casing and hook it up to your laptop.

4. use disk management to split the drive once it is hooked up to your laptop and don't do it in the stationary computer.

rgds

Gandir

Tombstone

Tombstone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i never get the chance to view the hard drive once in the caddie... it shows no where, not in disk maganment or device manager...

Gandir

Gandir

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Tomb

Did you try putting it back in the stationary computer (take it out of the caddie), reformatting it there to a single partition NTFS and then putting it back in the caddie and connecting it to your laptop?.

Gandir

Edited by Gandir, 09 June 2005 - 07:53 AM.

Tombstone

Tombstone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
no i havent yet... i will try...

thank you for the mighty fast replies!! been havin a [bleep] of a night so far!

will post back in a few

Tom

Tombstone

Tombstone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
this time, it was partioned in ntfs, the whole thing, while in slave of another computer

then i put it in the caddie, booted it up, then added the usb drive, as master,it didnt display it hadbeen dectected nothing in the corner, but it just did the XP dun dun noise to say something is connected twice... like it was connected then disconnected in 1 second....

confused!

thanks
Tom

Gandir

Gandir

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Okay Tom

Try these 2 options:

1. pull all pins from the HD, that "should" make it go directly into a slave/master configuration that will make the operating system make the desicion wether or not to run it as master or slave.

2. set the pin in slave position.

3. on both of the above!, go into the disk manager in the administration tool and check for the harddrive there.

4. can you post the info on the caddie, who made it and so on.

I hope we will find a solution

gandir

Tombstone

Tombstone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i put the jumper as slave, detected it again, said it was installing again, then ejected it from usb device manager saying problem installingdevice

Tom

Gandir

Gandir

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I am looking at the Seagate website at the moment to see if there are any software that will help you solve this problem

Gandir

Gandir

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Tom

this site has some tools that might be able to help you install your new drive.

http://www.seagate.c...pport/software/

rgds

Gandris

Edited by Gandir, 09 June 2005 - 08:20 AM.

Tombstone

Tombstone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
nah, none of those things on the site worked, i tried one to add a drive, by giving the model number etc, but didnt work was based at non not book internal drives!

thanks for the idea though,

im jsut stumped, im oging to take it back tommorow and see if i can get a different one
thanks alot for ur time!

Tom

armorm2

armorm2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an external usb hard drive that sometimes isn't recognized in "My Computer" when the computer is turned on. I've reinstalled the drivers for it but it is still doing the same thing. I notice that the only way to fix it is to restart the computer. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks!

http://www.computerstoday.myftp.org

Tetsunara

Tetsunara

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I know that it has been stated before on this forum, but my issue is slightly different. I have put a HD i was previously using in a USB enclosure. When I plug in the HD to my computer, it recognizes it, displays it in computer management (with the name 'Phobos' which was used on the previous computer) but it does not show up in my computer. The only action i can make on the hard drive in computer management is to delete it. I cant do this because my entire backup was saved on that HD.

please help!

-Tet