Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Delete GeForse

• Please log in to reply

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
When I brought my computer home this GeForce experience was on it. I tried to delete it and this has caused me problems with shutting down and other disk problems. I don't want this on my machine. I told the man who fixed it that I wanted it removed but he told me that I needed it. It is for games. I don't do games. Is there some way besides add and remove to get this off. For when I tried, I had a big mess and had to re-install the thing. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
GeForce indicates you have a Nvidia display adapter (video). You need the GeForce software/drivers for it to work correctly.

Why do you want to remove it? Is it causing problems?

If it's icons that show up in the System Tray of the Taskbar, you can probably prevent them from starting when you boot the computer via msconfig, Startup tab.

Click Start, type msconfig, right click on msconfig.exe at top and select Run as Administrator.
Click on the Startup tab.
Disable all Nvidia entries.
Reboot.

That should do it. Driver will still be installed, just the "extra" programs won't be running.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Okay, I noticed that I was having problems shutting down at night and I could not use System Restore after I tried to take that off. So I downloaded it again and it did take care of a couple problems but I still cannot do a system restore and I have disk problems and It takes at least 15 minutes to shut down. I have no idea why they put this on my computer. I took it over for them to fix it for it was under warranty. Now this is my fault for trying to take it off and I am responsible for what is going on. I just don't understand this at all. I want it off so my computer will work the way it should. Isn't there any way to take it off. I can't use add and remove for that is what caused all this trouble I am having. Would a good uninstaller like Revo Uninstaller take it off. I am afraid to try anything. I will not take this back to the shop for I have no understanding why it was ever put on. It is for games. I never asked for it, it was just on there. I think that is poor. Just looking for an answer. Thank you.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the complete name of the item you want to get rid of please. Is it "GeForce experience"?

You said you tried to delete it. How did you do this?

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I tired to remove The GeForce Experience from the all and remove section of the computer where I always removed things. Then my computer went crazy. I could not get into Firefox and it was a mess. I downloaded this again and a few things straightened up. Not all. So I went online to check this out and there are so many people trying to get rid of this program and are not able to do so. So I come to you guys for I don't want to mess this machine up again. My warranty is about over so if I have to take it back it will cost me to get it fixed. I did not make this thing happen. Usually I will take the blame for messing things up but not this time. Thank you

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
From what I read via Google searches, you should be able to just uninstall it from Control Panel, Programs and Features. Is that what you tried?

Anyway, just disable it from msconfig as I showed in post #2.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
All right I have done what you said to do. It took a very long time to start up. This thing whatever it is must have something to be able to do this to a computer. I can not do a disk scan and it still takes 15 to 20 minutes to shut down. Amazing to me. Thank you so much for all your help. I appreciate all you have done.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Thank you for helping me out. I am unable to do a disk scan and am still having problems shutting down. I will let this go for I don't want any more to happen here. I appreciate all you have done.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Were you able to either uninstall it or disable it via msconfig?

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I so agree with the being a Christian post. Yes, I did what you said. I went on Google search and read and read. There were a lot with problems just like mine from this thing. I was even tempted to try something but thought better of it. I could let you know what my machine says about the disk each time I turn it on if you would like for I am going to copy it down. You see I am upset because I really don't believe a man who is paid to work on your computer should put anything on it without asking. That is just what most would do, I hope. But, I am better now and can live with it being slow. This machine is 6 months old and I got it because I wanted more speed and more disk space. It had a few problems that needed work and being under warranty, I took it in to get it fixed. It was working all right until I tried to take this game thing off and then look what has happened. So I guess it all is my fault. I could call the man up and say a few things but I won't for that will do no good. I do thank you and if I have been not a nice person, I am sorry.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You've been fine :thumbsup:

Still haven't answered my question about disabling the program via msconfig as I gave directions to do. Did you do this or not?

You can always do a restore to Factory New State, which will put the computer back like it was the day you bought it. Just have to backup and data you don't want to lose. Let me know if this sounds like something you might want to do or at least think about doing.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Yes, I did exactly what you said to do. I now my start up is so very slow. I would love to take this machine back but being a grandmother, I love the computer, yet, my knowledge is limited to say the least. I think for now I will learn to live with it as long as it doesn't matter if I can't do a scan on my disks. The slowness is okay. This machine was built for me and it is only 6 months old or so and it was very fast. But, if the scanning the disk is not that important I will adjust. Thank you so much for helping me out here.

Tyskie

Tyskie

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi there,

If I could add my 2 cents, I feel sorry for Sharon Lee because of the troubles experienced as I feel the same about 'unwanted software'.

NVidia GeForce Experience (GFE) is a kind of utility/control panel related to your games/graphics card drivers. It allows you to look at what games you can 'optimise' the drivers for and also sits in the background searching for the latest updates to your graphics card drivers. It probably does more but that's the extent of my knowledge and it's all I've ever used it for.

It will also show you various advertisements (nothing malicious) when installing updated drivers, for example, from NVidia and its partners.

You do not need NVidia GFE to be able to install your NVidia graphics card drivers. It is a program that is surplus to minimum requirements.

I recently got rid of NVidia GFE from this computer because it was starting to annoy me. When I right-clicked on the system tray icon and clicked Exit, the icon disappeared for a few seconds and then re-appeared and kept doing this until I manually ended the process via Task Manager. I do not like it when a program tries to take over control. It is for the same reason that I stopped using TuneUp Utilities several years ago - that was also doing things that I did not ask it to do. It is for the same reason that I prefer that Adobe notifies me of updates and does not update itself until I tell it to, rather than update automatically (I might be in the middle of a game and it starts updating - not good!).

Fortunately, I had no problems uninstalling NVidia GFE. I simply did it via Control Panel - Programs - Uninstall a Program and it's gone.

I don't think there is a 'tool' for the complete removal of NVidia GFE, like you get with some Antivirus software. I wonder if, Ztruker, you could possibly find a way to remove all references to NVidia GFE from Sharon's system as I don't know enough about the Windows Registry etc. to be able to help to that end.

Perhaps, Sharon, you could take a screenshot of your msconfig/startup and msconfig/services when sorted in order of manufacturer and show what entries there are relating to NVidia and we could go from there? I would post the instructions but maybe Ztruker would disagree that this is necessary.

If you have in fact done what Ztruker asked then maybe your slowness issues are not related to NVidia GFE, but something else? You say you have had the computer for 6 months and it always had NVidia GFE on it, so why do you think GFE has slowed it down now, all of a sudden? You say your problems started when you tried to uninstall it, you mentioned Revo uninstaller. Have you downloaded any other programs that you may have thought would help you to remove NVidia GFE? Your problem may be related to malware, which is a whole other ballgame!

Sorry if I'm getting ahead of myself and going 5 steps ahead instead of waiting for a reply but unfortunately I don't have time to monitor the replies and I ultimately leave it to Ztruker to give advice as to the next steps to be taken :thumbsup: Just wanted to give my 2 cents, which turned into 6 cents :P

Regards,

T.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Thank you so much for your input. I did not always have this on my machine, only after I took it to the shop and had a few things done with it. As the technician said get the bugs out. Then is when I noticed he had downloaded this on my machine. I checked it out and found no reason for it so I went to add and remove to get rid of it. Big mistake. I had so many problems after I tried to get rid of this that I had to download it again so I could get into programs. I was told that Revo uninstaller would remove this. I don't want to do anything more to hurt this machine. I know that the man at the shop top me I needed to keep it on. I asked why and he said I needed it. Well, I will not go back there for I find no reason why I need this and I do not want it on here. It seems to be nothing but problems for my computer. It is my fault that I am having so many things wrong for I did try to remove it and messed up things. But, I still say they should never have put it on here without asking me. It has been a mess. Thank you for understanding.

Tyskie

Tyskie

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
You are welcome. I would urge you not to give up and I'm sure the experts on here will tell you the same and they will eventually get your PC back to a good, working state, even if that means reinstalling your OS (Windows) ((as long as your hardware isn't faultering)).

The man at the shop probably thought he was doing a good thing, given your age, as NVidia GeForce Experience will automatically keep your drivers up-to-date and that can only be a good thing (as your PC will be less vulnerable to threats/viruses and crashes due to driver conflicts) and perhaps he thought you wouldn't know how to keep your drivers up-to-date by yourself. Also he wouldn't have known that when you tried to uninstall GFE you would run into these problems.

That being said, I completely agree with your point that he shouldn't have done it. IT people are often accused (and rightly so) of 'overkill' in trying to organise other people's computers for them, ignoring their specific requests and going above and beyond what has been asked of them. I'm guilty of that BUT I always explain first what my recommendations are and then ask for permission to carry out the recommended changes. And I do all of this for free, much like the good people on this forum, as I don't have an IT business. The man in the shop should have first explained to you what the software is for and then asked for your permission to install it. That would be the ideal situation, but we live in an imperfect world!

If I was you, I would explain the problems you're having and demand ask politely that he puts it right free-of-charge because he's the one that put the software on there without your permission. And you must stress to him that he must not charge you before you hand your PC over. You may not get anywhere but it's worth a shot and it's what I'd do for my grandmother :)

Good luck!

T.

Edited by Tyskie, 05 March 2014 - 07:43 AM.