Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop tries to power up but doesn't

• Please log in to reply

Gmr

Gmr

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I was working on my laptop LCD screen's ribbon connection. My screen had turned white and I found out it probably has a loose connection. That was it, it fixed it. However iI made a mistake by leaving the unit on when doing this. Now when I turn on the laptop the 'on' lights come on briefly along with the cooling fan spinning briefly and fails to boot on. Could I have fried the ram or power supply while plugging in the LCD plug? I think at one time I did see a small spark when attempting to get the plug to insert better. Any experience as to why laptop lights and fan come on for 2-3 seconds then shuts down? Thank you.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Unfortunately any number of components may have been shorted out, I would start by removing the battery, AC power supply and the Ram, press the power button for around 20 seconds to dispel any residual charge in the system, reinsert the battery only and see if the notebook powers up, if no joy remove the battery and connect the AC adapter and again see if the notebook powers up.

If the notebook does power up at all with either of the above methods, turn off the computer and remove the power source, reinsert the Ram (one stick at a time if you have more than one stick) reconnect the power supply and see if the notebook will boot up.

Let us know how it goes.

Gmr

Gmr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I have tried the 60 sec button solution w no luck. It will try redoing the ram on Thurs night. My first chance to work on it will b then.. I'll report back. The for help!

Gmr

Gmr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
i forgot to mention, when i tried to discharge for 20 sec and reboot, the laptop lights flashed on to reboot, went out tried to come on again, and went out. this is a little different than just coming on one time for 3 sec or so then going out which happens all the times thereafter. thx again for your help...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You are welcome and we will look out for your next update :thumbsup:

Gmr

Gmr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
OK, I removed my one and only ram stick tried to power on w it out. No luck. I inserted it back in after cleaning it up a little. No luck. I press the power on button, two lights flash on for a few seconds, and then go out. No power on. Arrgghhh! Could a capacitor be the culprit? I believe they are pretty deep inside this laptop and I don't know much what to look for. I've seen a desktop capacitor upright w a bulge that is bad. But I think the laptops are like a sideways barrel and don't know what to look for on them. Any suggestions? Thanks...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Is it the same with battery in and AC adaptor out and vice versa.

Do you at any time hear the cooling fan in operation.

Gmr

Gmr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
The cooling fan comes on for a equal amount of time. 2-3 seconds. No sign of software booting. No response to any 'safe boot' attempts.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Is it the same with battery in and AC adaptor out and vice versa.

Do you at any time hear the cooling fan in operation.

Gmr

Gmr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Yes it is the same with battery or AC corded power adapter.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Not a good sign I`m afraid :(

If you get nothing at all on the screen whatsoever (BIOS or splash screen etc) then the MB/GPU or CPU may have been damaged, you could try disconnecting the display cable again to see if the notebook will stay on, if it does try connecting the notebook to an external screen, please turn off both sources of power if you try this.

Gmr

Gmr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I'll try disconnecting the screen as you suggest. Then try to power up. Will get back soon w results... The

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Good luck :thumbsup:

Gmr

Gmr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
No luck. Lights/fan come on for 2-3 sec. Then nothing. So what now? Try to figure out what's dead? Could I try and boot it with a CDor ssomething? Check the ram somehow? Hopefully! Its not the MB.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
The notebook will not boot from a disk if the notebook will not stay on long enough.

Try the notebook without the Ram inserted with no screen attached by all means.

It is looking like the MB needs to be inspected and this is a task best left to a suitably qualified person, if you wish to do this yourself post the full notebook details as in brand and model name or number, we can then look for some tutorials for you.