Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DirectX Issue

• Please log in to reply

dredge

dredge

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Suddenly I am receiving this error message while playing DirectX games, (COD 4, COD Modern Warfare 2, and COD Black OPs), DirectX diagnostic says everthingis OK, and as far as I can tell my RAM, (4gb of which Windows XP is using 3.3 Gb), is fine. The message is as follows: "Direct3D Device9::present failed, ran out of memory", also am getting "Directx encountered an unrecoverable error". At my wits end. Other games, (World of Tanks, Warplanes) run fine and are pretty graphics intensive.Hope you can help. Thank you.

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 3328MB RAM
Hard Drive: Western Digital 640 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB
Monitor:
Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card:
Realtek HD Audio output
Operating System:
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_qfe.130704-0421)
Motherboard: Asus P5K Intel P35/ICH9 LGA775 FSB1333MHz 4xDDR2 SATA RAID Audio IEEE1394 Gb LAN ATX
Computer Case:
NSPIRE R-540BS ATX MID TOWER 4 2 (4) DRIVE BAYS F.USB2.0 AUDIO 600W BLK SILVER

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello dredge

Have you checked the tutorial here provided courtesy of starjax

dredge

dredge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I had already tried that. It says I have a newer or current version installed. I am at a loss as to why this is happening. I played COD on Saturday and then Sunday night this started. There were no changes made to my computer, no games installed or anything like that.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Can I ask how old the video card is and what are the brand and model name or number details of the PSU.

Stress test the video card with Valley Benchmark, details here

dredge

dredge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
PSU is a thermaltake 850w, video card is about a year and a half old. Did the stress test and benchmarked, got a 645 score. I know my system is old and not high end at all but should and has run these game without trouble. some of my older directx games, (joint ops and the like) still run ok.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Resolving computer problems is often a slow process of elimination I`m afraid!

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

dredge

dredge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Here is the Speedfan info. I had it installed already and I believe that I have the HWINFO installed as well. I know this stuff can take time to resolve and I appreciate you help, but it's still exasperating.Speed Fan Results.JPG

dredge

dredge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
nevermind, I have a different monitoring program than the one you provided the link to, already installed it though

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Speedfan is showing high temps for a computer that is not under load and one of the +12V rails is showing as being low, please run HWMonitor and post a screenshot for comparison.

dredge

dredge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Here is the info. HWMonitor info.JPG

Edited by dredge, 05 March 2014 - 06:46 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Apologies for the delay - been researching COD threads.

No problems in HWMonitor, one final thing for you to do for us is run Speccy and post the resultant url, details here

dredge

dredge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Here you go. http://speccy.pirifo...1GH2eczLzkCnJnm

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Please excuse my ignorance here but I am not a gamer :whistling:

Are the two games that you are having issues with played via Steam online, the reason that I ask is I noted the presence of AVG Safeguard in your Speccy results, AVG (even the toolbar) on it`s own is demanding on system resources but put it alongside another AV program such as MSE in this instance and it will drop your system performance and cause conflicts, use the AVG uninstaller tool to get rid of the AVG toolbar to ensure that nothing that can cause conflicts is left behind, AVG toolbar removal

AVG-Secure-Search-Update_0214b.exe
Process ID: 2644
User: SYSTEM
Domain: NT AUTHORITY
Path: C:\Program Files\AVG SafeGuard toolbar\AVG-Secure-Search-Update_0214b.exe
Memory Usage: 3.87 MB
Peak Memory Usage: 3.87 MB

Scheduler
3/5/2014 7:39 AM;Every 1 hour(s) from 12:39 AM for 24 hour(s) every day, starting 1/1/2000: Adobe Flash Player Updater
3/5/2014 7:52 AM;Every 1 hour(s) from 9:52 PM for 24 hour(s) every day, starting 2/11/2014: GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-1343024091-1580818891-839522115-1003UA
3/5/2014 8:00 AM;Every 1 hour(s) from 12:00 PM for 24 hour(s) every day, starting 2/13/2014: GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA
3/5/2014 12:00 PM;Run at user logon: GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore
3/5/2014 9:52 PM;At 9:52 PM every day, starting 2/11/2014: GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-1343024091-1580818891-839522115-1003Core
3/6/2014 4:10 AM;At 4:10 AM every day, starting 3/4/2014: Microsoft Antimalware Scheduled Scan
3/11/2014 10:01 AM;At 10:01 AM every Tue of every week, starting 10/14/2011: AppleSoftwareUpdate
Run at user logon: AVG-Secure-Search-Update_0214b_rmv
Run at user logon: AVG-Secure-Search-Update_0214b_rel

Once this issue is resolved I suggest that you look at the other items above (with the exception of MSE) and see if they can be better organised or removed.

dredge

dredge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
This is strange. This morning, before I got your last post, for the [bleep] of it, I tried to play COD Black Ops. I figured I would see if I got any other error codes that might be helpful. I'll be damned if it didn't play fine. I played a couple of matches with no issue where, before, I couldn't get past the load screen without a crash and error message. So, I guess, it seems the issue resolved itself. I don't know what I did, (nothing that you didn't tell me to do), but I went ahead and got rid of the AVG Toolbar, and will look into the other advice you gave, although I'm not sure how to go about removing those items.

dredge

dredge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
To answer your other question, 2 of the games run through Steam, but COD 4 does not and I was experiencing this issue with that game as well.