Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Decide on Gaming laptops.Fang EVO HX7 ,Alienware 17, or MSI Dra

• Please log in to reply

Teadora

Teadora

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
FANG EVO HX7
(is Cyberpowerpc a good company to purchase through?)

Or MSI Dragon 2nd Edition
(is XoticPc.com a good company to purchase through.)

or Alienware

A few work ups are below.

Fang EVO HX7 Original source CyberpowerPC

CD: 6X Blu-ray Reader/8X DVD±R/2.4X + DL Super-Multi Drive (NB-FANG-BR-COMBO) [+44]
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4800MQ Mobile Processor 2.70 GHz 6M Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.70 GHz [+96]

HDD: 1 TB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive [-4]

MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3-1600 SODIMM Memory [+94] (G.SKILL)

NOTEBOOK: CyberPowerPC FANGBOOK EVO 17.3" FHD LED-Backlit 1920x1080 Display w/ Red backlit performance keyboard with programmable keys, Built-in 720p HD webcam, HDMI Port, Li-Ion Battery, & Universal AC Adapter

SERVICE: STANDARD 1-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY AND LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOFT1: Microsoft® Office 2013 Home and Student (Word, Excel, PowerPoint + OneNote) [+119]

NVIDIA GTX 780M 4GB PCIe Video (NB-FANG-202) [+366]
WNC: Built-in Killer N1202 - 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo

PRICE After all discounts:1951.30

Alienware:

Alienware 17 Alienware 17
Operating System Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit, English
Memory 16GB DDR3L at 1600MHz (2 x 8G)

Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780M with 4GB GDDR5

Hard Drive 1TB 5400 + 80 mSATA HDD
CD ROM/DVD ROM Slot-Loading 8x SuperMulti Drive (DVDR/RW) (Standard)
Wireless Broadcom 4352 802.11 ac 2x2 and Bluetooth 4.0

Support 3 Year Alienware Enhanced Support
Accidental Damage Service 3 Year Accidental Damage Service

Processor 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz)

LCD 17.3" WLED HD+ (1600 x 900) Anti-Glare Display
Office Productivity Software Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2013

Operating System Recovery Options Windows 7 Recovery Disk included

TOTAL: $3,076.99

MSI Dragon 2nd Edition
No work up as yet.

or this MSI Work up with Xoticpc

FORCE / MSI 1763 (22-001) 780M (MSI GT70 Barebones)

- FREE!!! – U.S. UPS GROUND SHIPPING (Use Coupon Code "FREESHIP" in Checkout) [U.S. Lower 48 ONLY / Restrictions Apply]
- FREE! - ASSASSIN'S CREED 4 for PC (Limited Time Offer / While Supplies Last / Must be requested in comments box during checkout)

- 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Anti-Glare Screen w/ 72% NTSC Color Gamut (1920x1080)
- FREE!!! - 30 Day "No Dead Pixel" Guarantee! - ($35.00 Value!) (Limited Time Only / XPC Service)

- 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache) (SKU – X2X913)
- FREE!!! - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU (Cools better than all Compounds) (XPC Service)
- NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 780M (4.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 w/ Optimus™ Technology

- ON SALE! - 750GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache (SATA II - 3GB/s) (SKU - HDD004)
- 1TB 7200RPM (SATA III - 6GB/s) (SKU - HDD005)
- HDD Raid Settings - OFF
- 6x Blu-Ray Reader + 8x DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive (SKU - ODD002)

- Bluetooth Included *With select wireless cards only* (See “Wireless Network” Section Below)
- Intel® Dual Band AC 7260 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N 2.4/5.0GHz + Bluetooth 4.0 / WiDi | Up to 300/867Mbps (2x2) (SKU - WIFI04)

- No Car Adapter

- Stock - BLUE Backlit Keyboard

- Windows 7 Home Premium - 64-Bit (Supports up to 16GB of RAM) (Disk Included)
- 2014 PC Security Essentials Software (Not Installed) (Trend Micro Antivirus Security (2 Year Subscription) ($150.00 Retail Value)

- No Global Anti-Theft Protection (Options below require an operating system)
- 3 Year Parts & LIFETIME Ltd Labor Warranty 24/7 Tech Support w/ LCD Accidental Damage Protection (SKU - WTY004)

Final Cost 2600.00

Edited by Teadora, 06 March 2014 - 05:49 AM.

Advertisements

Teadora

Teadora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
opps posted twice

Edited by Teadora, 06 March 2014 - 05:55 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

opps posted twice

Both are good computers but do you really need the specs and the cost that they both incur!

Let us know what the main use of the computer will be and we will do our best to advise.

Teadora

Teadora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It will be my desktop for much of the time. As I noted above I am recovering from a spinal injury and not able to sit at a desk for any length of time. I currently own a Toshiba Satellite L305 which has been a good lil thing for chatting but hard to use for online gaming.

Gaming is top on the list
Games Such as these but not all inclusive
WoW, Sims 3 & 4 when released, SWG, Phoenix Project (building a new City of Heroes) I multi run several characters while playing
various games. I also play games not online such As Assassins Creed, Diablo, Skyrim, Halo.

Webpage design
Work from home remote paperless filing.

Create and Edit Videos
Mix Music for several local artists

As for the cost, I have tried customizing so many my head hurts and my eyes blur from figuring things out LOL. I had originally decided on Alienware then had so many ppl tell me about other laptops and places to build them etc. I am in the US just FYI. :)

Thank you for responding.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Worth consideration Asus G750JH-T4080H

Best price that I could find was offered by Amazon and Newegg please allow a further $350 to cover the cost of an extended 3 year warranty.

You are welcome btw :)

Teadora

Teadora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Worth consideration Asus G750JH-T4080H

Best price that I could find was offered by Amazon and Newegg please allow a further $350 to cover the cost of an extended 3 year warranty.

You are welcome btw :)

SO funny I was literally looking at ASUS prior to your response to me. Well, I was looking at this one.

http://www.asus.com/...#specifications

It gets so confusing I think I am getting this one..then ppl tell me dont its waste, then again I find something...etc etc.

Edited by Teadora, 07 March 2014 - 03:52 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I fully understand where you are coming from as it is a large financial outlay and so you need to do as much research as possible.

Unfortunately the final decision is yours alone to make and we can only provide the pro`s and cons of any particular notebook that you ask us to look at.

Regarding the three options in your OP the Fang EVO HX7 has not got the proven track record of the Dell or the MSI, the Dell is vastly overpriced for what you get, the MSI is reasonably priced but does not have the kudos that the Dell does, I however would be willing to forego that for a saving of almost $500 as long as the 3 Year Parts & LIFETIME Ltd Labor Warranty 24/7 Tech Support w/ LCD Accidental Damage Protection (SKU - WTY004) was included in the $2600 price tag.

Teadora

Teadora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you for understanding sometimes on other sites I get replies that make me seem stupid for wanting to have a Gaming/Desktop Replacement Laptop and should save my money for a Desktop PC basically I should save my money on a laptop.

I also understand that you and others post replies based on tech, education, experience, reviews and opinions. So, thinking with the help I might be down to 2 laptops.

Just would like some more advice before I jump off this merry go round search amongst Manufacturers. :P

Would you think that the MSI BareBones work I did is worth purchasing?

or

Do you think I should go for a MSI Dragon 2 Edition work up?

or

ASUS Laptops:

Should I consider the workup you showed me? Is it a good investment?

or

Do think the ASUS ROG G750 JH is better than your? IS it worth considering and does it even measure up to the work up did
:help:

Then amongst these 4 in your opinion would be the best for my needs especially gaming and graphics?

I never really put thoughts into laptops up until now I always was a heavy Desktop user. My partner said with these over the flashier models saves money that could go to building gaming desktops with monitors for future use. A good idea I was thinking with the more conservative laptops I could put about 1500 towards a desktop build with great monitor :happy:

Thank you again for any and all help given to me and I appreciate the patience you all are showing. :wub:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are most welcome and we wish you a speedy and full recovery Teadora :thumbsup:

I never shy away from a challenge but I am very conservative when it comes to advising other people about laying out their finances :unsure:

I took out some of the nonsense that was incuded in the MSI specs, hand on heart do you think it is worthe $2600 (I don`t see any Ram included btw).

FORCE / MSI 1763 (22-001) 780M (MSI GT70 Barebones)

- FREE!!! – U.S. UPS GROUND SHIPPING (Use Coupon Code "FREESHIP" in Checkout) [U.S. Lower 48 ONLY / Restrictions Apply]
- FREE! - ASSASSIN'S CREED 4 for PC (Limited Time Offer / While Supplies Last / Must be requested in comments box during checkout)
- 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Anti-Glare Screen w/ 72% NTSC Color Gamut (1920x1080)
- FREE!!! - 30 Day "No Dead Pixel" Guarantee! - ($35.00 Value!) (Limited Time Only / XPC Service)
- 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache) (SKU – X2X913)
- FREE!!! - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU (Cools better than all Compounds) (XPC Service)
- NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 780M (4.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 w/ Optimus™ Technology
- ON SALE! - 750GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache (SATA II - 3GB/s) (SKU - HDD004)
- 1TB 7200RPM (SATA III - 6GB/s) (SKU - HDD005)
- 6x Blu-Ray Reader + 8x DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive (SKU - ODD002)
- Intel® Dual Band AC 7260 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N 2.4/5.0GHz + Bluetooth 4.0 / WiDi | Up to 300/867Mbps (2x2) (SKU - WIFI04)
- Stock - BLUE Backlit Keyboard
- Windows 7 Home Premium - 64-Bit (Supports up to 16GB of RAM) (Disk Included)
- 3 Year Parts & LIFETIME Ltd Labor Warranty 24/7 Tech Support w/ LCD Accidental Damage Protection (SKU - WTY004)

Final Cost 2600.00

Correct me if I am wrong but is this not covered by the statutory warranty.

Do you think I should go for a MSI Dragon 2 Edition work up?

Nice but again expensive, for your intended use and allowing for any future games that may require more Ram 16GB is above and beyond what you need or will ever utilise, you will be paying for something to sit idle

Do think the ASUS ROG G750 JH is better than your?

Wasn`t that the one I suggested :P ASUS ROG G750JH-DB71 17.3-Inch
Laptop

Take a look at the core specs of each computer and they are very similar in all but the price, The Dell Alienware 17 for example is a great notebook but for me paying circa $500 for the Alienware logo would be a non starter.

Teadora

Teadora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I want to again thank you for all your help in this , it has meant alot not having a very tech partner was hard to get a yes or no or opinion on systems or cost. I have one that is "if you want it get it if we have the money" where I am a die hard frugal buyer. But, moving into the world of gaming laptops I was a bit to deep for myself, desktops a better handle on. What helped was having that view of items without a scathing reply on the choices I had asked about or droning on about better to wait for a desktop ignoring the why I needed a laptop with power :)

I have decided to go with the one you recommended ASUS ROG G750JH

In the end with the cost and specs plus the additional warranty it still fell below the 2600 MSI with even a few more bells.

So will be ordering and will be waiting for it to be delivered on Tuesday.

Thanks again

:thumbsup: I might just look ya up when I get ready to build that ULTIMATE GAMING Desktop :wacko:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are most welcome Teadora and if you have any further questions please let us know :yes:

By all means let us know when you intend to build your new gaming desktop we will be happy to help, you can get some practice on putting a list of parts together by signing up to PCPartpicker, details here

Let us know how the gaming goes with the new notebook please.

NB: There is no need or room for scathing replies anywhere in life :upset: I am pleased that you feel that I have answered your questions appropriately and thank you for the acknowledgement :thumbsup: