Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall problem

• Please log in to reply

ftfk00

ftfk00

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello All,

I recently got the BSOD error so i decided to reinstall windows 7 HP on my toshiba satellite laptop.

firstly i wiped the HD with dban - (Only wiped hd because i never used dban before)
next when installing, windows won't allow me to create a new partition so i used gpart to create the partition.

Now it's installed when i turn it on the next day it fails to start.It just gives error 0xc000000f.

Please help me with this.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello ftfk00

It is possible that the HDD has issues and so I suggest that it is checked asap, first of all though can I ask what type of Windows 7 disk you used for the fresh installation and from where it was obtained, a downloaded ISO as one example and a Toshiba re installation disk provided with your computer as another.

ftfk00

ftfk00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello and thanks for the reply.

The HDD is new,I guess another reason i needed to reinstall.
I could not find the original disc for laptop so i downloaded Windows 7 Home Premium iso from internet.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
From your OP;

firstly i wiped the HD with dban - (Only wiped hd because i never used dban before)

Why did you use DBan on an unused HDD, Windows 7 formats a HDD as it installs.

Do you have a link to where you downloaded the ISO.

It is possible that the ISO was a bad burn but can I ask you to check that your HDD is detected in the BIOS, if it is try
reinstalling Windows again following the guide here

NB: Which particular model of Toshiba Satellite do you have so we can see if it is UEFI.

ftfk00

ftfk00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I downloaded iso from My link

i burned it with imgburn.

This was my second time to reinstall the first time i put vista HP on the HDD,it gave me problems and eventually BSOD.I realised i had used dell OEM disc for vista.
So i used DBAN.

Yes my hdd is detected in bios.
My model is Toshiba Satellite C660D-15H.

I have gone through your link to reinstall windows and it is exactly how i have done it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Not familiar with where you downloaded your ISO so cannot comment on the site, I would try burning a fresh ISO from here and at no more than X4 burning speed, alternatively use a USB thumb drive that is 4GB or more capacity, and for either method use this

As an asides ftfk00, it may not have been the previous Vista installation that was bad but the HDD, new drives can be DOA don`t forget.

ftfk00

ftfk00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thank you kindly for your replies and advice.

I will do what you have said tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

BTW - the download site is somewhere i am not familiar with either i just searched for the iso and got to this site.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You downloaded from Digital River which is the official Microsoft download site, so what you downloaded is good. It ends up at the same place as the link philpower gave you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You downloaded from Digital River which is the official Microsoft download site, so what you downloaded is good. It ends up at the same place as the link philpower gave you.

:thumbsup:

ftfk00

ftfk00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I downloaded from your link and installed windows 7 with usb.Worked fine but once i turned off computer and restarted
it's back to same problem.

Windows loads files then goes to screen where you have to pick your keyboard type.I presume starting startup recovery.

All this takes a long time.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Was the hard drive that you are using out of the box new.
Is there only one installation of Windows 7 on the HDD.
Is the HDD detected in the BIOS.
Once Windows had installed did you then install the Toshiba drivers for the notebook.

Windows loads files then goes to screen where you have to pick your keyboard type.I presume starting startup recovery.

Would it be possible for you to upload a picture of this screen.

ftfk00

ftfk00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Yes HD is new.
Yes only one windows 7 on hd.
Yes hd is detected in bios.
Yes i installed all drivers.

I have another pc with a working hd.I took the hd out of the pc and put it into the toshiba
it just starts then crashes.
but yet the hd works on another pc.

ftfk00

ftfk00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
what i have done now is placed the toshiba hard drive into an external enclosure and plugged it into another laptop.

I can see everything on the hd.The very last file in the list is a Bootsect.bak file.

when i open this it says

NTFS
A disk read error occurred
BOOTMGR is missing
BOOTMGR is compressed
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

How would i go about fixing the bootmgr from hd enclosure

ftfk00

ftfk00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
sorry i was wrong replugged it back in and the hd is empty.

I can get to recovery options where it finds your os and it says the partition is holding 0 mb's.

I think i will try and reinstall Vista as it worked for a long time with vista.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Is the boot sequence set in the BIOS to either DVD drive (or USB device whichever method you use) as the first boot device and the HDD the second boot device.

The error that you mentioned in your OP 0xc000000f does lead to possible BOOTMGR causes of the issue and that is why I asked about the OS disk that you used and if the HDD was out of the box new.

If you successfully install Vista use the Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 option, details here

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page) thank you for understanding.