Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba laptop hard drive crash twice in 15 months!

• Please log in to reply

Mom 2 3C's

Mom 2 3C's

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite L875D-S7332. It is 15 months old and I am experiencing my second hard drive crash. The first time was covered by warranty, but this time is not.

I'm wondering why I would have 2 hard drive crashes on a computer that is not very old. Could there be something else going on internally that is causing the hard drive to fail? Is it worth repairing or should I just get a new computer? Is this a common problem with Toshiba or am I just unlucky?

I appreciate any help or feedback you can give me in layman's terms!

Thanks!

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
There could be many possible issues. There could be a cooling issue which causes the drive to over heat and die. It could be that how you use the computer/carry the computer could be causing problems (vibration, for example, or blocking the vents).

You could get a SSD (solid state drive) which should be less likely to crash, but it would still have issues with heat.

You might pull out the disk and check with the manufacturer to see if it is still under warranty, instead of just the warranty for the computer itself.

Mom 2 3C's

Mom 2 3C's

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
In addition to what Kemasa has advised.

Can you tell us what you mean by the hard drive having crashed Mom 2 3C's, the reason that I ask is because there is a difference between a hard drive failure and a crash as in HDD failure suggests that the drive has a mechanical or electrical problem whereas a computer crash could be the result of a corrupt operating system or bad Ram as just two examples, the former as Kemasa has said may be covered by a warranty offered by the HDD manufacturer and the latter is often something that the user can put right themselves.

Mom 2 3C's

Mom 2 3C's

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
philpower2 - I mean the computer won't boot. Sometimes it says "no bootable device". Sometimes it tries to run "automatic repair" amd from there I am supposed to press F8 to run my recovery media, but pressing F8 (or any other F-key) just shuts the computer off.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
It does sound like a HDD issue then, is there any data on the hard drive that you would like to try and recover.

As an outside chance that it may help, try removing and then replacing the HDD back into the notebook in case there is a poor connection.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Actually, it could be the hard drive, or it could be the controller on the motherboard. Taking the drive out and testing it on another computer might be a good idea.

Was this the same thing it did with the previous drive? If so, and if it was fixed, it sounds like it could be a common problem with that disk drive, or perhaps something on the computer which causes the drive to fail.

Taking the disk out and putting it back in is a good idea as it does tend to "clean" the connections a bit.