Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Syncing / help cleaning up my messy virtual closet....

• Please log in to reply

Sarahwpenn

Sarahwpenn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok, so this is kinda messy.
Basically this is several questions but any answers are better than none.
I have an iPhone, a google account, picasa, a windows 7 laptop, and an android Samsung galaxy note tablet, and an old webshots account (now Smile)

On those various devices, I have lots of photos, documents etc. that I would really like to keep. Problem is I have had this laptop for over 4 years now and need to wipe the OS to clean it up, the iPhone (two years accumulation) is going to need replacing sometime this year so I can go to a cheaper carrier, and the android is just awesome, and the webshots account is hard to sync so I don't add to it anymore, but I'd like to move stuff out of it to something else.
About a year ago I put Picasa on the laptop to try to start moving some of my data to cloud storage so that I can safely erase the laptop.
I do use photostream for the iPhone so that has a bunch of stuff in it too.
However, my dilemma is that I have so overcomplicated my life (well.... It was a complicated last two years so it's bound to show)that I can't figure out how to find anything anymore. Photos that were on my phone suddenly are not there anymore, then later I find them on my laptop in picasa, when I look at picasa on the web some of the stuff on my laptop isn't there, so how do I know what is safely in the cloud and what isn't?
Same for iCloud/Photostream. after upgrading to iOS 5 on my iPhone, I can't find half my stuff. not ALL of my stuff, only SOME of it is gone. which complicates things further.
Does anyone have a good housekeeping plan to point me in the right direction on how to get this mess straight so that I can find my stuff again?

Photos are my main problem right now. I have never really had a great system for those, and I moved a lot and went through a house fire at one point so I don't really have printed photos, everything is on these.
Other docs went to google drive or dropbox. those are my household and business filing cabinets, but I have too many photos to (cost effectively) use those for pictures.

Advertisements