Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using GeekSquad Recovery Media

• Please log in to reply

mlh5046

mlh5046

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I am trying to restore my PC using the GeekSquad recovery discs provided with my laptop. It seems to work fine until the very last step when the computer requires the automatic reboot. An error pops up saying 'The computer unexpectedly restarted or an error occured. Press OK to restart again.'. I would press OK and have it restart several times but it is stuck on this step. Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the make and full model number of the computer?

There may be a Recovery partition o n the hard drive you can access by pressing a Fn key during boot. We can fidn this info in the online Users guide.

mlh5046

mlh5046

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I Have resolved that issue, but now, after my system is restored, I cannot download any files from the internet. The dialog box comes up, whether or run or save as, but then after that it gets stuck. Ive tried multiple downloads.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How did you resolve it? Did you use the built-in Recovery partition, install from DVD or flash drive, ????

So, What is the make and full model number of the computer?

mlh5046

mlh5046

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I appreciate the reply... I went into the Registry Editor and changed one of the numbers from 1 to 3 at the advice from someone in another forum. Blue Screen of Death came up a few times during the final restoration phase, but it seems to have restored Windows 7 to 'factory settings' with the exception of me being able to download files from the internet. I dont know if its a security issue or a left over virus. Really stumped and frustrated. Would appreciate and input.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can you provide the info on the registry change you made or a link to the post?

Have you tried using a different web browser? Give Firefox a try, see if you can download from there.