Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Restarts Randomly

• Please log in to reply

APieceOfSky

APieceOfSky

• Pip
  • 1 posts
We just recently purchased a new Pc and I installed on it, The Sims 2. :tazz:
I had been soo looking forward to playing it... however! for some odd reason the game causes my PC to restart, to go into shut down and boot up again... its bizzare ;) To begin with it was only doing while I played the game'; i could get through the intro and into a bit of the game play but it would always restart at random times (there was no common stimulas). My PC then began to do this regardless, even when I wasn't playing the game... So I unstalled the software and all its related folders and strangley enough my PC stopped restarting.......

Today I also purchased Black & White, the EA game, and after a (lengthy) time the PC decided to restart to (this may be a considence).

But I was wondering if anyone could put forward a logical explination for this and a possible solution to my problem.

The PC is runnin on XP has an abudance of harddisk space and more than enough (a gig) or RAM to run the (Sims 2) game so I can't see why the pc is doing this whenever I play the game...

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Mr.KnowItAll

Mr.KnowItAll

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
hi...

i advise u to go back to the store and throw the new PC in their face LOL

no, just kidding... but u really should go to them and let them check your computer... a lot of store saving money by selling us losy RAM of [bleep] companies... it sounds like your RAM is all screwed up... i put my bet on that.

GL :tazz:

SharkBite

SharkBite

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I got my puter late last year...it was fine for about a month then started shutting down during hardware intense games.. (black hawk down was a prob for me). The problem got steadily worse.....It turned out to be the power supply in the tower. (they also replaced my RAM... they were nice people, small shop, I actually waited there while they done it, took 3 hours all up with multiple tests.)
I had to pull the plug before I could restart my puter.. so your prob may be different. But if there is a small trip out it may restart, like when you turn your puter off and on quickly (not recommended).
If you take the puter back to the shop...make sure you take the game. Ask them to install and test with that game. Then you will know for sure.

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
I would also advise getting your power-supply check, and since its new the shop has to do it for free :tazz: , PS. Black and white is ahawt game love it!
Good luck.

Mr.KnowItAll

Mr.KnowItAll

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
B&W suckssssssssssssssssssssssssss
st upid game!!! hehehe

Mr.KnowItAll

Mr.KnowItAll

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
and so is Sims2

whyweigh

whyweigh

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
this also could be your cpu getting too hot and causing your system to reboot itself.

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Post the specs on your computer in full, INCLUDE everything. Here use this http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en, and just copy and paste what it gives you on the specs page.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Try this idea I saw here in another post might put you in the right direction and although it won't solve the problem in itself it is something worth doing to all machines because: a) the error message can give you a valuable clue, and b) it's hard to jolt XP out of an endless booting loop.

Turn off auto restart
Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and recovery
uncheck auto restart.

crazy_hobo

crazy_hobo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey!
Try going back to the shop and ask them to check if the power suply works properly. Also have a look at the cpu cooling system, the cpu may warm up too much.
I hope you'll solve your problem soon!
:tazz:
good luck